Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Garage Security

Talk about all your non-Zed or even Kawasaki bikes here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

wayno
100Club
100Club

Re: Garage Security

#16 PostAuthor: wayno » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:37 am

Charlie wrote:I go for obvious physical protection rather than camera's, although I do have motion activated spotlights on my drive that come on the moment anyone steps on it.
My (integral to the house) garage can be entered from the house too, the garage space is motion protected on the house alarm system. The up and over garage door is bolted on both sides from the inside. It has an external padlock, an additional security teebar with high security padlock on the bottom outside so It can't be folded over at either top, sides or bottom. I also put two trembler alarms on the door itself in case someone tries pushing or banging on it if its dark or I am in bed....oh yeah, I park two cars in front of the door at night too lol. Both would need moving to get to the door. There is one car there in the day. I am aware the bastards could still get in if they really wanted to - but they will have to work hard and noisily in full view on a very busy road to get there. I hope (sorry guys) they will find it easier to nick someone else's pride and joy :oops:

Guy up the road had a similar set up...basturds broke into the house and pinched his motocrossers, took them through the house. It would be a bit more difficult with a big old zed.

Charlie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#17 PostAuthor: Charlie » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:43 pm

It is just about possible I guess, but as said, the house is always alarmed if no-one is home or we are in bed. None of the bikes would fit through the gap into the kitchen cos of the kitchen layout (well not without widening the door and removing kitchen units they wouldn't lol)

You can never be 100% secure, I guess they could storm in with knives or guns and unlock the door :wink: but I am happy where I am without resorting to stuff like having croc filled moats or security guards around the house :D
Why do I persist in debating with idiots ? I really should know better :)

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#18 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:07 am

wheelysteve wrote:I am thinking of upping the security by fitting some cctv cameras looking down the drive/garage doors/rear fences etc.

Has anybody on here had any experience with the cctv systems currently available from the likes of Costco and Maplins?
They look very impressive in the shop in nice warm dry conditions, I just wonder how long they survive outside and if they are actually any good.

Any advice and opinions appreciated.

Steve

For the same or similar price you can get real HD from a CCTV supplier. The statistics say CCTV is the biggest deterrant, because it gives the greatest chance of being caught. Of course professionals who target you will use the tools ((balaclava) to avoid it, but it's a war and every weapon is an asset.
Cheers,

Mark.

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#19 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:11 am

wheelysteve wrote:I am thinking of upping the security by fitting some cctv cameras looking down the drive/garage doors/rear fences etc.

Has anybody on here had any experience with the cctv systems currently available from the likes of Costco and Maplins?
They look very impressive in the shop in nice warm dry conditions, I just wonder how long they survive outside and if they are actually any good.

Any advice and opinions appreciated.

Steve

Oh yes, in answer to your actual question, yes I bought cameras from Screwfix, similar to the Costco etc offerings, they aren't up to genuine full HD.
Cheers,

Mark.

VinnyE
100Club
100Club

#20 PostAuthor: VinnyE » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:20 pm

I think the Alarm Trip Mine is not legal to use for your garage etc. They use blank 12g shotgun cartridges - which I would expect you wouls need a Shotgun Certificate to get hold of anyway?

wheelysteve
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#21 PostAuthor: wheelysteve » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:55 pm

Thanks for all the feedback and advice. I particularly like Chris's alarm trip mine but with young kids I think it could end in disaster !!

I've got big chains and garage door bolts as suggested but want to make sure it's the least attractive garage to break into. I will investigate the HD cctv systems and maybe a decent stand alone alarm. Hopefully that will give the bastards away .
1975 Z1B Candy Red/Blue
1975 Dogs Z1B
1976 Z900 A4
1977 Z650B1
1978 Z650B2
1978 KZ1000D Z1R
Yam Tracer 900GT

PUM 710

marlin
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#22 PostAuthor: marlin » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:19 pm

the harder you can make it for the scumbags the better i have mine better alarmed/ secure than the uk mint !!!! certain members on here that have been to my house will know what im on about !!!! cctv alarms ground anchors i wont go into the finer details a very cheap but effective method is a motion sensor and a mirror / polished bit of metal on the garage door if anybody shakes / or wants to force the door the motion sensor will pick up the movement on the mirror / polished metal and set of a alarm can be done for under £20 on top of other methods hope this was of any use i have mates that can install cctv , heavy duty garage ( metal ) doors etc one off ground anchors etc will be in the west yorks area cheers marlin

marlin
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#23 PostAuthor: marlin » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:01 pm

methods that cost nothing / pence to do when you have a padlock on something put a bit of clear tape over the lock when you have a gate put a plastic tie wrap on it even if you have a lock on it you will know if somebody as moved the gate make it as hard you can for the bastards cheers marlin

Taffus

#24 PostAuthor: Taffus » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:10 am

I'm surrounded by pensioners, the silver stasi...... just need a tut filter.......

engz1b
100Club
100Club

#25 PostAuthor: engz1b » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:25 am

side door is bricked up ,so main door only way in,sliding bolts into floor into floor and steel frame,accessed through key hole,so door dosnt look like fort knox, motion sensor lights, alarmed 4x4 parked in front,and best deterant,dogs,no-one gets in my garden,lots of warning signs about the dogs,if a bird farts in the garden they are aware

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#26 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:34 pm

VinnyE wrote:I think the Alarm Trip Mine is not legal to use for your garage etc. They use blank 12g shotgun cartridges - which I would expect you wouls need a Shotgun Certificate to get hold of anyway?

https://www.ant-supplies.uk/bits-and-bo ... mines.html

Looks like they are legal and can be obtained without shotgun cert as can the saluting blanks,would be easy to make one anyway,full description with this link...
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

Mark Stratton
100Club
100Club

#27 PostAuthor: Mark Stratton » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:31 pm

My mate has just had his garage broken into and his bike nicked and he has CCTV.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41968

His CCTV takes a still shot every 2 seconds the first one at 2am has the bike in it and the one a 2 seconds past just has the back wheel disappearing!!!! They were in and out that quick. If he had had the bike chained or better locks on the garage door it would have been a different story.

The only true deterrent is added security ie; extra locks, ground anchor, chains etc. My garage door is fitted with a total of 4 locks and I park the car in front of it overnight. When I am away the van is parked hard against the door and I take the keys with me on holiday so if they break into the house whilst I am away they still don't have access to the keys.

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#28 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:33 pm

Mark Stratton wrote:
The only true deterrent is added security ie; extra locks, ground anchor, chains etc. My garage door is fitted with a total of 4 locks and I park the car in front of it overnight. When I am away the van is parked hard against the door and I take the keys with me on holiday so if they break into the house whilst I am away they still don't have access to the keys.

Back in the day a mate had his nearly new EX-UP nicked out of his locked alarmed garage with his car parked right up against the door and his Wife's car parked right behind his. The only difference being his garage door was a roller shutter type rather than up and over.

He went out in the morning to find the garage door open, his bike gone, but neither of the cars had moved or been broken into. On closer inspection he noticed the bonnet of his car was covered in scratches and marks where the thieves had somehow lifted the bike over his car to get it out.

Like he said, Given it must have taken at least 4 decent size guys to lift his bike over the front of a car, even if he had heard the alarm and gone rushing outside in his gruds, what could he have done faced with four big blokes armed with crowbars and hammers?...

"Alright Lads - Fancy a brew!"
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

marlin
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#29 PostAuthor: marlin » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:12 am

all agreed then best locks / garage doors possible , and ground anchors alarms cctv etc , the best thing to do is for each person on here is to look at there own garage etc and think like a thief and look at and work out where would be a weak spot and work out a way to make it harder for them to break in cheers marlin

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#30 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:55 pm

I have one of these fitted on each of my garages.

You can’t open the door without removing the lock. The only way to take the lock off is with the key, or cut it off with an oxyacetylene torch.

http://www.lockandkey.co.uk/p/gdm2/gara ... gKYL_D_BwE
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

Return to “The Bottom Shed”