Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Yuasa Battery YB10L-A2 - Any Good?

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

johny brando
100Club
100Club

Re: Yuasa Battery YB10L-A2 - Any Good?

#16 PostAuthor: johny brando » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:12 am

cancunia wrote:I was thinking of getting one of these for my Z900 A4. Good price at Halfords and also Amazon. Looks like they need acid, but I've been told they're maintenance free?

I have to use a Yuasa YB10 LA 2 myself on my Kawa 900 this due to various frame modifications. Yuasa batteries are very good quality & they use Top quality Lead !, as oppose to old , contaminated re-cycled lead which many manufacturers choose to use internally= cheapskates ! What others here have written is accurate the 14 amp/hour is correct for a Z-900. A Yuasa YB10 is an 11 amp/hour- it will & doe's work ok ...but a 14amp/hour is much better & is correct. Also sealed & Gel filled as oppose to sulphuric 'liquid acid' is better too ( no leaks & reduces vibes to the lead internals ) best either way though to ensure what ever the new battery is ...it is sitting on Rubber or similar to prevent vibes shaking the shit out of it internally . Also when new..... I put 2 TEA spoons of Magnesium Sulphate ( better known as" Epsom Salts" ..& just 3 quid in your supermarket ) into each cell of the new battery when I filled it with Acid .....apparently it is supposed to prevent... or maybe reduce sulphating & extend the battery life 3 fold ??? my battery is still good & used regularly 7 years on ! I personally at the time... was a bit sceptical but that appears to be misplaced now ..... ( now I've done it !!!! that = the Kiss of Death aye ) Over N Out.

cancunia
Regular Poster

#17 PostAuthor: cancunia » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:37 am

Not sure the Z1 has the same size battery as the A4? Mine's a Z900 A4 with the long air intake pipe behind the airbox so the height will be restricted. I'll measure my battery space and report back.

hartyb
100Club
100Club

#18 PostAuthor: hartyb » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:31 am

Yuasa batteries are very good quality & they use Top quality Lead

Also when new..... I put 2 TEA spoons of Magnesium Sulphate ( better known as" Epsom Salts" ..& just 3 quid in your supermarket ) into each cell of the new battery when I filled it with Acid .....apparently it is supposed to prevent... or maybe reduce sulphating & extend the battery life 3 fold [/quote]

I Read that the different colour printed markings on the sides of the Yuasa batteries denotes different quality
this is why when you have a new bike the Battery last for years which must be as you say the better lead quality in them,

the big point of the Gel ones is if they dis charge they will not salt up and with a trickle charge come back to life time and time.

its very interesting about the Magnesium Sulfate will give that a try on my car batteries
Z900A4, Z1000A1, Z1000ST E1,E2, Z1000Mk2 A3,Z1000H Z1R D1, z1000j3, Z1000P. Z900RS SE,
Z1300 A1,
GPZ1100 Unitrack, GPZ750E, GPZ 750Turbo, GPZ900r A1, A2, A6
ZZR1100 Purple and orange
KE175b, KE175F
along with some lesser makes :eek

cancunia
Regular Poster

#19 PostAuthor: cancunia » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:38 pm

I did a bit of reading on the Mag Sulphate as I thought it might come in handy for another bike battery on my bench. Seems that the idea is to use it to recover tired batteries, then drain & refill with new acid.

http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=67944.0

King of Kings
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#20 PostAuthor: King of Kings » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:30 pm

Fitted Motobat to my Zed in 2008, still going strong, starts bike even after sitting for 10-12 months.

Return to “Bike Help”