Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Dyno run.

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

crossthread
Regular Poster

Dyno run.

#1 PostAuthor: crossthread » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:23 pm

Hi all . My Mk 11 runs non standard exhaust and pod filters . I've upped the pilots and mains , tuned and fiddled , and the bike runs really well on the road . However , the truth is I am only guessing the settings. Plugs look ok but who knows if it could be even better. I'm dithering over a dyno run. Check out Dyno on you tube and it's full of bikes being thrashed to within an inch of their lives and exploding engines , not what I want.
Who has experience of these things? What do I ask for ? What do I need to know ? Out and out power is not what I'm after .
Any thoughts , advice , tips or observations ? Any do's or don'ts.
Ultimately all I want is good clean carburation.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Dyno run.

#2 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:39 pm

If it's running really well and the plugs are a good colour i'd save your money and the ordeal of hearing the bike scream..
Dyno is all very well but once tuned for peak power they tend to end up being set on the weak side once back on the road and need re-jetting anyway, so you're back to where you started and a few quid lighter.

garyd
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: garyd » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:26 pm

These Zeds have been thrashed mecilessly for years. It wouldn't bother me to put one on a dyno.

If the dyno operator knows what he's doing....and I doubt you'll find one these days that doesn't...one or two runs should give you a good pointer if there are any weak/rich spots.

crossthread
Regular Poster

#4 PostAuthor: crossthread » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:06 pm

Thanks zed and gary . No-one else got tips, views or experience ? Can't believe that , bikers have opinions on everything !!! Don't be shy. :wow

Charlie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#5 PostAuthor: Charlie » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:32 pm

I've had a few bikes on dyno's and never had an issue, nor have I come across anyone else that has in 30 odd years working in the motorcycle industry. Make sure you have enough clean oil in the sump and nothing hanging off. If there is even a hint of an issue, a competent dyno man would not put it on there.

As said up top, take it to a guy that knows what he is doing - particularly so with carb'd bikes. With carbs, its fiddling around with carbs and parts on/off and different jets...it is much more time consuming.

Some dyno operators only want FI bikes as they are easier and quicker to set up. They can do two or three modern sportsbikes on the computer in the time it takes to do one oldskool bike. :wink:

Expect to have a back tyre frazzled though - dyno's do eat tyres up for fun.....especially if it takes a few runs
Why do I persist in debating with idiots ? I really should know better :)

chrisNI
Site Admin

#6 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:20 pm

I had mine on a Dyno a few years ago to try sorting out the CRs - the bloke knew what he was doing and the graphs were very enlightening. I think it had three runs with changes, it finished up giving just over 100 horsies at the back wheel which I thought was ok for a 1075, but the last graph still showed a bit of room for further fine tuning. At that point we ran out of time and he charged me a very reasonable small amount, I was to go back for another go but unfortunately he closed down before I got round to going back and I don’t know where his Dyno went, so I haven’t got it sorted completely but it’s pretty good. The CRs are quite hard to set up, the standard carbs should be a lot easier, and the graph shows you stuff you just can’t detect on the road. Also the dyno’s a good bit safer that trying to do flat out run- ups and plug chops out on the road, apart from the modern fuels making it a lot harder to read plugs than it was back in the day. The back tyre didn’t suffer unduly.

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:35 pm

Bike Dyno’d at Debben performance in Ringwood to set Cr31 up. With good results. Never had carb problems since. Top guys.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:27 pm

ADRIAN H wrote:Bike Dyno’d at Debben performance in Ringwood to set Cr31 up. With good results. Never had carb problems since. Top guys.

I had a bike dynoed at Debbens...... After 4 or 5 runs, Ray looked at me, smiling, saying "Don't look so worried, we haven't blown it up yet"...... Bastard!!

# 104

Phil Churchett Award Winner 2011 & 2016 :D
Buzzworkz Best Modified Zed 2016

neilbarrett
ZedHead
ZedHead

#9 PostAuthor: neilbarrett » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:42 am

most bikes i use ive had set up at john warringtons mcs at malton ,til youve got a hp figure from your first run ,you dont know weather your coming or going ,if ya engines gunna let go ,id prefer it to do it on the dyno rather than on the road,id recomend every one to have there bikes set up ,carnt beat it ,

King of Kings
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#10 PostAuthor: King of Kings » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:08 pm

Had my Z1000 dynoed by some cowboys in Warrington a few yrs back, they only bent a cpl of valves, completely clueless about real bikes!

Return to “Bike Help”