Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1000a1 - not sure what I have or where to start

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

csx355
100Club
100Club

Re: Z1000a1 - not sure what I have or where to start

#46 PostAuthor: csx355 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:39 pm

ADRIAN H wrote:No - you will regret it

You are right Ade. I will, but there is something inside me that flicks the nutter switch every time I jump on one of my bikes. No matter how steady, laid back and mellow I start off on a ride I always seem to engage hooligan mode and whist I might get away with it on my RD250 or the Bonneville or the KL250 or the 400/4 or even the Katana I know that the Z could end up biting me and that would be a shame. Not only are the roads down here tight, narrow twisty and clogged with tractors and more cars than ever but, the surface is cut to bits. Its just easier for me to ride smaller under powered bikes harder than coming back from each ride thinking 'sheez that was close'.

My old Sportster was fun. It didn't handle, didn't stop and was a pigging lump to move around, same storey with my old XS850 and now the Z1000, Christ, I drop a bollock just looking at it. The thing is I will rag it, and my skill level and reactions now are way less than my mental age was when I didn't have to take a pee every 20 minutes.

I am really happy with what I have done with the Z - she was a total basket case and probably destined to be broken and sold as spares - now she is a really tidy running bike that someone with a bit more restraint than me will own, maintain and enjoy. She's no show pony but could be. The basics are all there, she is a peach and will part fund me towards a really original 1960's T120 that I have my eye on.

GuyHughes wrote:Look forward to the pictures, did you keep it the same colour in the end?

Guy.

Hey Guy - I went for the diamond sky blue that the bike was registered with on the V5. Pretty much done now just need to get some intake rubbers and fit the air box and silencer which I now have, a saddle lock, which I don't, and the pillion pegs and I think I'm there, I think!!

IMG_0220.jpg
IMG_0218.jpg
IMG_0217.jpg
IMG_0216.jpg

GuyHughes
100Club
100Club

#47 PostAuthor: GuyHughes » Wed May 16, 2018 9:50 am

It's looking good, I see it has twin disk mine still has the single so at least yours has a chance of stopping !

I can also vouch from the "it will bite you in the ass someday" comment in your other reply, its on a Z1000A1 I had my accident many years ago, and was in and out or rehab for 6 months, ironically it was not because I was twisting the balls off it, (this time), but because some drunken arse on a pushbike with no lights on on a dark country road cut across in front of me late one night. Fortunately I was only doing the 60 speed limit at the time. Anyway, good luck with finding the bits you need and the sale if that is in fact that's the way you go. Hopefully you will be rewarded with a good price for your efforts and saving another Z1000.
Guy

chrisNI
Site Admin

#48 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Wed May 16, 2018 1:52 pm

Before my Z1000 got really modified I had Billet six pots on it - actually better brakes than the Tokico six pots on it now but I digress - it transformed the bike. Screw originality you need proper brakes even that's your only mod - from road placement, riding in traffic all sorts - before I got the proper brakes I can't count the number of times I found myself stamina towards the scene of an unfolding accident with the fronts (yes two...) doing fuck all and the back locked up doing arguably less. Luckily a gap always opened up just before I got there but it was too mad for me and I 'm not convinced I had the full nine lives so I put proper front calipers on which pleased the back so much it never locked again.

Here it was heading for the Suffolk Rally back in 2000

Cat&Fiddle 1.jpg
Cat&Fiddle 1.jpg (276.69 KiB) Viewed 2075 times

csx355
100Club
100Club

#49 PostAuthor: csx355 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:33 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about originality when upgrading handling and braking performance but I can't really change the weight - without significant mods, frame, wheels etc, and then the 70-80 bhp becomes even more of a potent force. My prehistoric T140v might just make 45bhp, weighs in over 50kgs lighter at 188kgs and I can hustle along and feel like a hero.

Granted the brakes are shite but there is something easy and fun about the pick up from 30-60mph which is where traffic dictates I spend most of my time.

The only things that scare me about it is gambling on if it's going to start when I pull in for fuel. It usually does. That and a bi-polar clutch that doesn't know if it's slipping or dragging and usually a combination of both!

Engineering wise it's horrible, and standard as it is elements of it look like it's been wired up and bolted together by someone who missed the cut when auditioning for scrapheap challenge. So why is it the only bike that I really have no intention of moving on. I love it. Now where can I get some Castrol R?
IMG_4395.JPG
IMG_4395.JPG

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#50 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Thu May 17, 2018 8:25 pm

csx355 wrote: So why is it the only bike that I really have no intention of moving on

Coz it’s got character and a mind of its own. I feel the same way about my Z1000 which I’ve had for 30+ years.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

Return to “Bike Help”