Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Starter clutch swap between year models

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

dbee
Regular Poster

Starter clutch swap between year models

#1 PostAuthor: dbee » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:28 am

Hi can't find info by searching topics. So does anyone know if there is any difference between starter clutches across the years. I need a complete clutch including the damper spacer for an early Z1000 with the small rotor that sits inside the alternator ring. Thanks David

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Starter clutch swap between year models

#2 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:50 pm

As long as your thou doesn't have a rotor keyway all the small type rotors and clutches will fit from any Z900 to Z1000.
If it does have a keyway then you must use a keyed rotor as the smaller 8mm bolt can't stop the rotor spinning on it's own.
Clutches are the same on all small rotors.

dbee
Regular Poster

#3 PostAuthor: dbee » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:19 pm

Thanks zed
The engine came with a rotor fitted but no starter clutch. There's one on ebay listed as KZ1100 Z1100A Z1000J GPZ1100B1 Shaft 1981-1983 Starter Clutch. Does anyone know if this will fit.
Thanks David

chrisu

#4 PostAuthor: chrisu » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:42 pm

given the Mk2 ones are different i'd doubt the even later 1100 one would fit...

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:29 pm

dbee wrote:Thanks zed
The engine came with a rotor fitted but no starter clutch. There's one on ebay listed as KZ1100 Z1100A Z1000J GPZ1100B1 Shaft 1981-1983 Starter Clutch. Does anyone know if this will fit.
Thanks David

No! Only 1973 Z1's to around 1979 Z1R D1 kickstart equipped bikes (round cam cover) will fit.
The later 1015 MK2/ST Kicker ( square cam cover) and all later GPZ/J style 1000's and 1100's have a bigger taper and dished type rotors.

dbee
Regular Poster

#6 PostAuthor: dbee » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:19 pm

Thanks everyone for replying
Not sure if i'm explaining correctly but I dont need the rotor as I know they wont fit. What i'm trying to find out is will the later starter clutch from a later model (just the large gear, needle bearing and roller housing and thrust washers) bolt up to my small rotor. Looking at the part numbers on Bikebandit they're the same.
Thanks again David

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#7 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:54 pm

dbee wrote:Thanks everyone for replying
Not sure if i'm explaining correctly but I dont need the rotor as I know they wont fit. What i'm trying to find out is will the later starter clutch from a later model (just the large gear, needle bearing and roller housing and thrust washers) bolt up to my small rotor. Looking at the part numbers on Bikebandit they're the same.
Thanks again David

I think I have what you need, PM sent.
Cheers,

Mark.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:32 pm

dbee wrote:Thanks everyone for replying
Thanks again David

I fully understood the question and as stated only the earlier clutch assembly will fit.
Some individual parts are common such as the rollers etc throughout the range but the larger diameter taper of the later cranks also means that the starter clutch center, needle bearing and thrust washers etc are also larger.

dbee
Regular Poster

#9 PostAuthor: dbee » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:54 pm

Thanks zed
you are right went around to D&K my local breakers armed with the info you gave. And they got a selection of starter clutches from various years and models out for me to compare. The early starter clutch gear roller bearing inner measurement was 22mm while the later Z1000 roller bearing inner measurement was 25mm. So I had a Starter clutch off a Z1B for £52 fits perfectly.
So thanks again everyone.
David

Return to “Bike Help”