Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Indicator electrical gremlins..

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

JohnC
100Club
100Club

Indicator electrical gremlins..

#1 PostAuthor: JohnC » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Hi all, I remember when I took my bike (Z1000A1) off the road a year or so back that when I was out on the last run the right hand indicator stopped flashing. I though it must just have been the flasher relay and ordered up a new one.

I fitted it today along with a new fully charged get battery and now none of the indicators flash, they light up but no flashing. Also I noticed when I switch on the headlamp the brake on indicator lights up. Headlamp works, both dip and high, and the brake light works as it should. Earthing problem?

I remember I had a few problems getting everything working previously as the headlight wiring was like a rats nest. Electrics is my real weak points so any tips on finding a solution, diagrams of what wire shout go where much appreciated!!

My previous experience of electrical repair 'experts' is that they never seem to find a solution and charge you ££££££ :eek

Thanks

John

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

Re: Indicator electrical gremlins..

#2 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:47 pm

Probably not your specific issue - BUT - the other day my winkers stopped working, out of the blue?

Turned out (sic) there was a dodgy join in the handlebar switch.... the centre solder joint had broken, so I stripped it down and resoldered it - all good now!
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:57 pm

It sounds like your wiring is in a bit of a mess. Seek some help if you are not good with electrics. Try contacting Iain Marshall he may know of a member not far from you that can help.

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:50 pm

does it have a halogen headlight ?

JohnC
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: JohnC » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:22 pm

No, just the normal headlight. Yes wiring could be better, it's all original as far as I know so might just be a process of elimination.

ZedHead
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: ZedHead » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:32 pm

JohnC wrote:No, just the normal headlight. Yes wiring could be better, it's all original as far as I know so might just be a process of elimination.

As Pigford suggests the handlebar switch is a good place to start. Take it off and check for corrosion or shorts, bear in mind shorts could be to the bars. Also check any multi-connectors from the switch and around the yoke.

40 year old looms often cause problems, fortunately for your bike they are relatively cheap to replace with modern, reliable wiring.

The preparation manual has a diagram that might help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kryzwr5to2m4d ... lyprep.pdf

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:31 pm

the main thing to check is the earths as they are all connected together in the main harness & often break with the movement of the harness when turning the handlebars you will need to open up the harness about 10 inches back from where the wiring enters the headlight shell

Julian_Boolean
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#8 PostAuthor: Julian_Boolean » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:27 am

Sounds like a bad earth.
An expanding collection of parts pretending to be a Z1100R and a Yamaha FZ750

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:45 am

Always thought the Earth for the handle bar switches was - The Handle Bar itself.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: z1bman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:21 am

ADRIAN H wrote:Always thought the Earth for the handle bar switches was - The Handle Bar itself.

they are but every lamp has its own individual eath

JohnC
100Club
100Club

#11 PostAuthor: JohnC » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:02 pm

Thanks all, your comments give me a few things to try, much appreciated.

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#12 PostAuthor: moizeau » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:15 pm

Couple of croc clips on a length of wire to test the circuits with an extra earth.
Pete

JohnC
100Club
100Club

#13 PostAuthor: JohnC » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:20 pm

All sorted now, had to get a local sparky to sort it though, was multiple issues but now fitted with new modern waterproof + idiot proof connectors (cant mix up left and right switches) for the new handle bar switch gear I bought. The switch gear came from the US and was supposed to be a straight fit for the A1 but it had block connectors while the wiring on my bike (US Import) was all bullet connectors. He said the block connectors on the new switch gear were a 'bit cheap'. I'd never have sussed the tail light issue out as he found a tiny faulty broken brass washer behind the tail light bulb spring in the pattern tail light and that was causing it go to earth, plus idiot light was drawing too much current and stealing it from indicators, I doubt I could have diagnosed that and not entirely sure how he rectified it. Very reasonable price as well, he spent about 5 hrs on it and all in £85, he also sorted out a few other wiring issues while he was working on the bike, so would deff recommend him if you have any problems and are in the WC of Scotland, really nice guy as well.

JohnC
100Club
100Club

#14 PostAuthor: JohnC » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:35 pm

ZedHead wrote:It sounds like your wiring is in a bit of a mess. Seek some help if you are not good with electrics. Try contacting Iain Marshall he may know of a member not far from you that can help.

He blanked me, but no worries.

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#15 PostAuthor: z1bman » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:50 pm

all the uk z1000a1's had bullet connectors on the handlebar switches as the wiring was routed through the handlebars

Return to “Bike Help”