Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1000A2 Project

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Icky
Regular Poster

Z1000A2 Project

#1 PostAuthor: Icky » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:49 pm

Good evening ladies and gents,
below is my Z1000A2, I have had it running very briefly only to find cam chain very noisy so dropped the sum and found the dreaded front cam chain guide in the bottom, unfortunately it had a little fight on the way down so probs needs a new chain as well, I'm thinking of fitting one with a soft link for obvious reasons.
My question is, as I've not ridden the bike I do not know how the gearbox is and was wondering if there was a way of
getting a rough idea with out dismantling it, I would fit an endless cam chain then but do not relish going that deep
into it, taking the barrels off refitting will be trying enough for me.
Judging by the chain and sprockets and tyres it many have had a tough life. :oh
Getting it into 2nd is quite hard even when spinning the rear wheel, is this usual because of the Kawasaki system
for finding neutral?? Once it's in 2nd it goes up and then back down ok if a little notchy.

Many thanks Steve

P1120933.JPG
P1120935.JPG
P1120925.JPG
P1120924.JPG

FER
Auld Heedyun

Re: Z1000A2 Project

#2 PostAuthor: FER » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:38 pm

The engine will need to be split as the front guide needs to be replaced . Fit a new endless cam chain and replace all off the cam chain guides , sprockets and rubbers . Doing anything else is a waste of time . Get a Kawasaki workshop manual and read it , then do the engine .
fer

kev edwards
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: kev edwards » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:47 pm

As Fer says, you may want to put a new rear tyre on whilst it's laid up as you don't know how old it is :lol:

Icky
Regular Poster

#4 PostAuthor: Icky » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:40 am

FER wrote:The engine will need to be split as the front guide needs to be replaced . Fit a new endless cam chain and replace all off the cam chain guides , sprockets and rubbers . Doing anything else is a waste of time . Get a Kawasaki workshop manual and read it , then do the engine .
fer

Thanks Fer, I was on the understanding that removing the barrels was sufficient to replacing the front guide although I'm probably wrong, I usually am according to my wife :D

Icky
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: Icky » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:45 am

kev edwards wrote:As Fer says, you may want to put a new rear tyre on whilst it's laid up as you don't know how old it is :lol:

Surly until the tube starts to poking trough there's no need to replace the tyre, isn't that the ol skool tyre depth marker? :beam

Gonzo
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#6 PostAuthor: Gonzo » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:39 am

Icky wrote:
kev edwards wrote:As Fer says, you may want to put a new rear tyre on whilst it's laid up as you don't know how old it is :lol:

Surly until the tube starts to poking trough there's no need to replace the tyre, isn't that the ol skool tyre depth marker? :beam

Absolutely! There's another 1000 miles left in that surely? :yay

What are the plans for your bike - back to original or something Sanctuary?
1978 Z1000A2
Previous Zeds:
1975 Z1B
1982 Z650F3

Swirl
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#7 PostAuthor: Swirl » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:07 am

Gonzo wrote:
Icky wrote:

Absolutely! There's another 1000 miles left in that surely? :yay

What are the plans for your bike - back to original or something Sanctuary?

Did someone say sanctuary

Icky
Regular Poster

#8 PostAuthor: Icky » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:49 pm

Hi Gonzo,

I'm going to keep it original (apart from maybe the colour) but as a rider rather than one that's so clean that I won't
take it out, just got to decide on the colour, it was originally black being an American import but I'm not keen on
black. :?:

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: Philippe » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:30 pm

Hi Icky
for replacing the front cam chain guide you don't need to split the crankcase. Removing the head and the barrels is enough.
I would suggest that you replace the camchain with an original "endless" one and therefore you have to split the crankcase and remove the pistons from the crankshaft.
As mentioned before: find yourself a workshop manual! It's all explaned in there from A to Z.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:05 pm

Icky wrote:Hi Gonzo,

I'm going to keep it original (apart from maybe the colour) just got to decide on the colour, it was originally black being an American import but I'm not keen on

Original Luminous Green, easily the best.

s-l1600 (1).jpg
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

kawasaki_man
100Club
100Club

#11 PostAuthor: kawasaki_man » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:52 am

Philippe wrote:Hi Icky
for replacing the front cam chain guide you don't need to split the crankcase. Removing the head and the barrels is enough.
I would suggest that you replace the camchain with an original "endless" one and therefore you have to split the crankcase and remove the pistons from the crankshaft.
As mentioned before: find yourself a workshop manual! It's all explaned in there from A to Z.
GrtZ
Philippe

+1

Icky
Regular Poster

#12 PostAuthor: Icky » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:24 am

Garry.L wrote:

I'm going to keep it original (apart from maybe the colour) just got to decide on the colour, it was originally black being an American import but I'm not keen on

s-l1600 (1).jpg

That colour does look fantstic! and thanks Philippe for the encouragement.
Cheers Steve

johny brando
100Club
100Club

#13 PostAuthor: johny brando » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:11 pm

Garry.L wrote:

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Mmmmm that OEM Green is nice ........but they did a really nice burnt Orange too . Colours like Music & food - all just personal taste aye !

Return to “Bike Help”