Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1-B resurrection after 43 years

Work in Progress

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

chrisNI
Site Admin

Re: Z1-B resurrection after 43 years

#16 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:07 pm

Bill P wrote:Oh no not the UK Bike thing again :?? I guess my USA Z1 is only worth ten bob :lol:

I’ll give you a quid for it- double your money :D :D

steve452
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#17 PostAuthor: steve452 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:46 pm

Andrew, the 43 year 'hibernation' was because life got in the way :) I bought the bike brand new in May 1975 from Ken Kay Kawasaki in Stopsley, Luton. In early 1977 I got a 6-month ban under the old '3 endorsements in 3 years' system, so decided to fit a Dixon Racing frame stiffening kit. To fit this you had to strip a fair bit of the bike down, so I decided to strip it completely down to the frame. I never actually fitted the stiffening kit (which I still have). So that the bike wouldn't corrode I stored the whole bike, in pieces, on the upstairs landing of my parents flat in Harrow, where I was living at the time. I had a couple of Hobnail Cubs to get me around for the next few years while I pondered about the rebuild and then pondered some more. In the end life took over and I got married, had a kid, separated, and finally divorced. Not all on the same day I might add. I don't want people to think me churlish. Anyway, the bike stayed in my parents house, still on the landing, for 37 years in total. As my Dad had died in 1996 I think it being there was a comfort for my Mum, as she felt my presence every time she fell over the frame. When I moved in with my current partner in 2009 I found to my delight that she had a double garage (not a euphemism) so there was loads of room to store the bike, tools, workbench etc. It took me 5 years before I actually did this though (as Treebeard was wont to say "Don't be hasty"). As I was still working for a living I didn't really get much time to glue stuff together but did acquire various bits that I needed that had got damaged (when Mum fell over/trod on them), went missing etc over the years. In March last year I retired and started seriously working on the bike. Well, I mean 4 months later I took the frame et al to get powder-coated. I didn't actually do anything else until a week before lockdown in March when I took all the brightwork to get re-chromed in Bristol. Of course one week later lockdown occurred and I didn't get the stuff back for 4 months. I've more of less been in the garage every day since April.

You did ask :D
Z1-B, 400bhp ZX1000NGF

90% of questions that begin "Why..." can be answered with "Because people are stupid."

Andrew_s
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#18 PostAuthor: Andrew_s » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:23 pm

Great Story Steve, very amusingly told and I'm glad you held onto it and that your mum wasn't seriously injured - clearly not a lady to bear a grudge. :lol:

Cheers, Andrew
Current Bikes:
Phil Churchett's 1976 Z900 A4: PRE 2R https://www.flickr.com/photos/115740825@N05/albums/72157680116996884
1973 XL250 K0 Motosport: UKX 73L
2023 R1250 GSA
Previous Zeds: Z750B1 Twin, Z650B1, Z750E

weaver
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#19 PostAuthor: weaver » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:30 am

Brilliant story wish you had detailed the whole build!

pertonpc
ZedHead
ZedHead

#20 PostAuthor: pertonpc » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:27 pm

Steve,
Great work. I rebuilt one of those (but from USA).
I personally prefer them with the early grab rail and frame mounted rear indicators - but I know some of the Bs had later parts fitted.

I would revisit the alignment of your saddle if I were you. There seems to be a little kinking of the seat cover where it touches tank - which will give you rub marks if not careful.
I fitted some clear plastic film where the seat meets the tank paint - to prevent that.
I would imagine that IF the tank is seated fully forward onto the frame guides - the front of the foam or cover might need trim or re-tension.

Enjoy the ride !!
From Mark
Z1-R D1, Z650 B2, Z1-B & ZRX 1200 A1P Catch 'em if you can at www.Zedrider.co.uk

Bill P
Hardcore
Hardcore

#21 PostAuthor: Bill P » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:46 pm

Thanks for generous offer Chris but i'll have to turn it down :)

steve452
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#22 PostAuthor: steve452 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:53 pm

Hi Weaver...I promised Steve Cooper last year that I would write an article covering the build for Tansha (the VJMC magazine). I took shitloads of pics throughout the build so have plenty of reference points to write it. I've not yet fired up the engine as still doing static testing but will start the article during the winter months when both bikes have got their pyjamas on. I also want to mke sure it doesn't blow up when I hit the starter button :D
Z1-B, 400bhp ZX1000NGF

90% of questions that begin "Why..." can be answered with "Because people are stupid."

weaver
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#23 PostAuthor: weaver » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:45 pm

steve452 wrote:Hi Weaver...I promised Steve Cooper last year that I would write an article covering the build for Tansha (the VJMC magazine). I took shitloads of pics throughout the build so have plenty of reference points to write it. I've not yet fired up the engine as still doing static testing but will start the article during the winter months when both bikes have got their pyjamas on. I also want to mke sure it doesn't blow up when I hit the starter button :D

nice one mate I am sure it be a good read :wink:

davejames
ZedHead
ZedHead

#24 PostAuthor: davejames » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:20 am

Great work Steve, must be very satisfying to see it back in one piece after 43 years!! :)
Feng shui................my arse

steve452
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#25 PostAuthor: steve452 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:28 pm

Just to update everyone, I managed to start the bike up yesterday for the first time in 43 years (after resolving the kickstarter issue I had encountered on the first attempt. See my other thread "Total start failure" for details and "solution"). Fired after 3 seconds on the starter button. I had it on the choke initially but it kept stalling whenever I reduced the choke. I thought something might be seriously out of kilter until I discovered that the bike runs much smoother when you allow fuel into carbs #3 and #4! I have two overhead 1 ltr fuel reservoirs and had not switched on the tap to the RH carbs. As they say "There's no fool like an old total arsehole." Anyways, it then ran fine on tickover, although I have no idea at what revs as I then remembered I still hadn't connected the tacho cable (see earlier post in this thread).Again "No fool like an old..." yadda, yadda, yadda.

Next step is to sync the carbs, employ my 50-year-old Gunsons Colortune to set the mixtures, and my strobe light and dwell meter to check/set up the ignition timing a bit more accurately. It did however seem to run quite happily as it was, so I think I probably got most of the settings at least in the right ballpark. I also forgot how hot an air-cooled engine gets when sitting still so will employ some fans to keep things cool when doing the final set-up.

It was just brilliant to hear it singing again after all these years.

Many thanks to all who gave advice during the rebuild and also to those who just dropped in now and then with encouragement/ kick-up-the-arse comments which were all well received.

Will keep you up-to-date with getting it on the road.
Z1-B, 400bhp ZX1000NGF

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#26 PostAuthor: Philippe » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:48 am

Hi Steve
fine for you that the old girl is singing again.
I hope you enjoy the rides and that you can get out the bugs soon.
Let the good times roll !
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#27 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:03 am

Very nice!
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

Martin B
Regular Poster

#28 PostAuthor: Martin B » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:39 pm

Totally impressed. You have achieved something which I can only dream of.
Good to know there are other Zeds in the area :D

steve452
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#29 PostAuthor: steve452 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:22 pm

Back to square one! Tried to start the bike with the KS after the previous issue (see my "Total Start Failure" thread). KS would not start the bike although I did feel some resistance. The KS lever would not, however, return to normal resting position although it did make the normal clicking noise when I returned it by hand. I then started the bike on the button and, once again, the KS lever shot backwards! Removed the lever, rotated the shaft clockwise by hand until it stopped and started on the button again. The shaft returned to the marked position I had previously set it up when first encountering this problem, and stayed stationary whilst the engine was running. There is a lot of high-pitched rattling noise coming from the KS area and a lot of vibration on the end of the shaft if you touch it with your hand. It looks like I'm going to have to to pull the engine again to investigate properly. Following lockdown I can probably get a neighbour to help with the removal but how far do I have to strip down the top end to get it out of the frame?

I also noticed a lot of sparking coming from the breakers and although they are patterns they and the condensors are all new. Although I stuck with the manual ignition to try and keep the bike as original as possible I'm now seriously thinking about going the EI route. Is there a consensus on the best EI system for a Z1-B? Cost is not an issue as I just want the most reliable package and hopefully simpler to set up.

I think Marvin summed it up best, "Life? Don't talk to me about life."
Z1-B, 400bhp ZX1000NGF

warren3200gt
Hardcore
Hardcore

#30 PostAuthor: warren3200gt » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:26 pm

Cant help on the ks but sparking points is likely to be the dwell is big/long
PUM 488 June 2023
76 Z900A4, 77 Z650B1, 77 KZ650B1, 77 Z1000A1, 82 Z1000J2, ZRX1100R.

Return to “Projects”