Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Returned to the fold

If you've just signed up read the important information in here and start a new topic to introduce yourself. If you've been here a while but never posted introduce yourself too - let us know you're real.
Don't be shy...

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Buckle
100Club
100Club

Returned to the fold

#1 PostAuthor: Buckle » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:04 am

So after a brief foray into Harley world I'm now back in the sensible world of Kawasaki, have negotiated the purchase of another Zed (see thread in the Discussion Board) and renewed my membership.

So Hi everyone, and I apologise for all the noddy questions in advance!
Insert witty comment here.......

ted1r
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

Re: Returned to the fold

#2 PostAuthor: ted1r » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:44 pm

Hi mate nice to see you back .tried the HD thing na Kawasaki to the core

Ted
"Work this is why I did it"

KE250
KZ1200
Puch Maxi
Be careful with Pensions :e
and me ol Granada

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Philippe » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:23 pm

Hi Buckle

welcome back to the sensible world!
Lots of good luck in finding a nice Zed.
When you found one, show us some pictures please.
Greetings from Belgium
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Bill P
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Bill P » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:44 pm

Welcome back from the Dark Side , done the Harley thing myself but luckily could have both and Kawasaki was generally
bike of choice so three Harley's didn't last 3 yrs between them. Once the big K's in your blood that's it i'm afraid :lol:

Buckle
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: Buckle » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:23 pm

Z750-1.jpg

This is the Zed I've just bought - funds don't stretch to a big 'un these days!

2014-06-22 17.05.27.jpg

This is a Z / GPZ / LTD hybrid I assembled from various bikes / bits / donations during hard times. It actually turned out to be a really good (but ugly) bike. Did a lot of miles on this and kind of wish I still had it.

2014-06-22 17.12.45.jpg

This one's a Z650 that caused me a lot of grief thanks to an incompetent bike shop in Bristol - it all turned out good in the end though and was a sweet 650. I foolishly sold it to someone local and it is now ruined :(

IMAG0181.jpg

Here's a pic of me from around 1986 or so on my very well thrashed mostly GPZ 550 - that bike did 80k plus miles and was thrashed mercilessly. This is the bike that got me hooked on Kwaka's - it put up with no end of abuse, ran rings round my mates GS550, burnt no oil and amazingly didn't let go!

IMAG0173.jpg

This pic is about mid 90's somewhere down on the Lizard in Cornwall with my Z1075. Here it still has the 16 inch LTD rear wheel although that was good rid of soon after. It was a proper wrench selling this bike - and it even appeared in the Owners Club mag at one point. Obligatory T-shirt!

zapo
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: zapo » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:20 am

Always great to hear some history and see them old photos.
I would be interested to hear what Harley you went with and your experience...... not that I was thinking about going there you understand :oops:

Buckle
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: Buckle » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:07 am

zapo wrote:Always great to hear some history and see them old photos.
I would be interested to hear what Harley you went with and your experience...... not that I was thinking about going there you understand :oops:

Mmm - the HD thing. There's a whole "lifestyle" you can buy into with an HD, I've met some really good guys through the local FB owners group, and HD have taken merchandising to a whole new level!

What kind of got me hooked was a test ride on a new Iron 883 which indicated that 1200cc minimum was the way to go. I didn't really want a fuel injected bike so that limited me to 2006 or earlier. In the end I bought a very nice XL883R with the 1200 conversion and a Mikuni flat slide carb already fitted. Even with that set up they're not fast - just over the ton and you know you're doing it too, but there is soooooo much torque and surprisingly smooth with a few revs on (mine was an early rubber mount motor). Unless you're set on a later one I'd advise going for 2004 or earlier solid motor mount sporty.

Mine only (almost) broke down once - the ignition flywheel sensor started playing up which led to some really odd running issues (a common failure even on the 2005 and later (inc FI) bikes), other than that be prepared for niggles minor oil leaks, things vibrating undone / sticking. Handling on standard suspension is quite interesting and vastly improved with some of Hagon's finest. One the whole mine was reliable, comfortable and fun to ride, but I never had that Japanese quality feeling with it - close but not quite there.

One last thing - fuel tanks on sporty's come in three sizes: Don't get a 48 with the tiny tank unless you like petrol station forecourts....... :D

zapo
100Club
100Club

#8 PostAuthor: zapo » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:23 am

Thanks for that summary.
It's interesting to hear a zed owners opinion.
My interest is perverse really.
I've always been a zed man with a sideline in two stroke triples but often wondered about the HD experience - mainly the torque thing which you mention.
Maybe I should hire one to get it out of my system.
If I ever brought one it would defo be a carb sportster type.
Thanks again for the insight.

Buckle
100Club
100Club

#9 PostAuthor: Buckle » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:27 pm

Oh, the other thing I forgot to mention - you will need to expand your tool kit. Pretty much all recent HD's are a mix of metric and imperial size hex, 12 point, allen socket heads and torx drives! :shock:

bedlow1
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#10 PostAuthor: bedlow1 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:38 pm

Have to say ive a "48" in my stable its fun to ride but agree with buckle has a puny tank range had to buy a 1 litre fuel canister to keep in me saddle bag and had to get those imperial spanners as me metrics dont fit.
IMG_8175.JPG
Now where did I leave my Keys!
1972 Z1 Euro Spec
1975 Z1B UK Bike
2022 Z900RS 50th Anniversary
2021 NC750X

mikey
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: mikey » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:01 pm

Welcome back mate just returned myself