Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Replacing frames

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

scott
Junior Section leader

Replacing frames

#1 PostAuthor: scott » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:38 am

If I have damaged my frame can I just buy another frame and swop over? Do I need a log book with a frame if purchased? Do I transfer my current registration number over? I don’t know any of the rules!!!!

baz
100Club
100Club

Re: Replacing frames

#2 PostAuthor: baz » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:10 am

probably easier to repair your frame.......your engine no matches up then.

deka
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: deka » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:30 am

as baz has said easier and i suspect a lot cheaper to repair the frame (jigged of course) otherwise you would need a frame and a logbook, the frame would be the reg number, you could transfer the number to the new frame as long as it did not make it look younger ie n reg to p reg you would also need to register the engine numbers on the new frame.

Finding one could be a challenge and most are quite expensive even if they do come up. I would take it to an approved repairer and they will check it and if necessary be able to make any adjustments or advise if it is TOTAL loss
GPZ1100 A1 zrx1100 FDXWG GSA1250

chrisu

#4 PostAuthor: chrisu » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:12 am

Frame will need a log book if you want it on the road. Then you will have a new registration.

As said Reg No goes with the frame.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:34 am

If your frame really is irrepairable ( Very unlikely ) then you either need another frame with V5 or do a neat job of stamping your numbers on a replacement frame and keep quiet about it.
Your original frame will then need the numbers obliterating and either chucking in the scrap or used for donor parts and brackets .
If you go for another frame and V5 i'd be interested in your damaged frame and V5.
Last edited by zed1015 on Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Z1streetfighter71
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#6 PostAuthor: Z1streetfighter71 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

What kind of damage are you talking about? twisted... bits missing? I repair frames all the time. from this.
IMG_5103.JPG

To this.
unnamen.jpg

Can you post pics and an explanation of whats up with the frame? It might cost way less to fix than replace and keep the value of the bike too keeping the frame ans engine in range. Plus im sure its less of "rules" and more of "the law" when it comes to swapping numbers on frames...

scott
Junior Section leader

#7 PostAuthor: scott » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:41 am

Thanks for the replies, gratefully appreciated. It’s going to Motoliner for repair. Head on collision into back of a car. Forks are bent. The headstock is damaged. The top bearing cup has deformed….it’s now pushed forward. Motoliner think its an easy repair.

Z1streetfighter71
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#8 PostAuthor: Z1streetfighter71 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:29 am

scott wrote:Thanks for the replies, gratefully appreciated. It’s going to Motoliner for repair. Head on collision into back of a car. Forks are bent. The headstock is damaged. The top bearing cup has deformed….it’s now pushed forward. Motoliner think its an easy repair.

Yikes, hope you wer'nt the one that was on it and if so you are good and healthy. Yep thats a damaged frame that is best left to the professionals. Hopefully it will work out cheaper than a A2 frame theses days.

scott
Junior Section leader

#9 PostAuthor: scott » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:36 am

Yes, unfortunately it was my crash…..usual story, car stopping at roundabout, then let’s off the brakes…..then stops again. My fault for anticipating that he’d moved on. Hit the back of car, then thought I was doing some tests for Boeing, rolled over the roof etc. no broken bones just a damaged bike. Remarkably very limited damage, looks like frame, forks and yolks(I’ve got forks and yolks now), front mudguard (they’ve increased in price!!), brake lever, one mirror, slight scratches on points cover, slight scratch on brand new exhaust. All other parts are fine, no bent bars or headlight or indicators etc, tank is fine etc…….in all very lucky. Still alive and kicking. If the frame is written off then it’s yours Rob.

scott
Junior Section leader

#10 PostAuthor: scott » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:15 pm

IMG_2198.jpeg

IMG_2202.jpeg

Z1streetfighter71
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#11 PostAuthor: Z1streetfighter71 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:02 pm

That is a sweet looking if not slight bent A2, one of my top 3 paint schemes, black and gold. It looks loke a pristine bike before and will be again no doubt.

scott
Junior Section leader

#12 PostAuthor: scott » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:19 pm

Hopefully it will be like this again, Its been in this rebuilt condition since 2007.....until last week :roll:
2017-04-11 14.55.19.jpeg

Z1streetfighter71
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#13 PostAuthor: Z1streetfighter71 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:56 pm

ah sure it will be turning heads again in no time. :D be nice to follow its recovery.

scott
Junior Section leader

#14 PostAuthor: scott » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:02 pm

It will be good again, just going to take a bit of time unfortunately. I've not long finished this 1100, so at least I've got a bike to ride.
IMG_2024.jpeg

compo z1r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#15 PostAuthor: compo z1r » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:36 pm

if u replace with a used frame then log book required how ever back in the day kawasaki supplied new frames un stamped with a part No sticker where the tank sits same with engine cases if u can find a brand new frame and some one with the correct vin font stamp kit u can re stamp the frame with ur number !! i had a new frame back in 99 on my z1r and rising sun put in the new original frame No ?he then cut up the old frame job done !!! and ive just found a set of z1r brand new un stamped cases for another day :D
THE ORIGINAL TARMAC TERRORIST

Z1000S !! Z1R Z810 [ project ] FZR 1000 RU KTM SXF 250 / 08 R6 and my dog zak.???

Z1OC # 886 till 2026

Return to “Bike Help”