Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

which gasket

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

mick znone
Hardcore
Hardcore

which gasket

#1 PostAuthor: mick znone » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:09 am

which gasket do i get for the cylinder head guys? the relay guy said use the split one, but i think i would rather listen to you guys.
I DONT CARE, IN OR OUT BUT IM ENJOYING THE DEBATE......................ARMSTRONG MT500. a pushbike, waves.....addict, no offence

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:17 am

Mick,
I use a one piece Cometic gasket. you will need to do away with the rubber seal that fits around the cam tunnel & fill the redundant groove with some sealant. Both can be sourced from Debben's + they will give you all the advice you need re; doing the job....... Good Luck.

mick znone
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: mick znone » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:25 am

thanks Bear, i guess new cam end plugs will be needed at the same time :?:
I DONT CARE, IN OR OUT BUT IM ENJOYING THE DEBATE......................ARMSTRONG MT500. a pushbike, waves.....addict, no offence

wilsonsjw11
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: wilsonsjw11 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:33 am

Mick good morning.
Its a one piece head gasket on a Z1A.
Is this to do with the engine throwing out oil?if so establish where the oil is coming from first by running the motor and going around it with a torch.Don't pull the head off until you are 100%certain where the oil is coming from.You said it appeared to be coming from the back of the block,have you checked around the oil pressure switch and its housing(oil pressure switch has black rubber cap on top of it.)
Keep us updated
Regards
Steve

Ginger Bear
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Ginger Bear » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:37 am

Cam end plugs should be fine Mick if you can get the rocker gasket of without disturning them. Even if you do, you should be able to re-use them. Just clean 'em up & use some of the same sealant that you put in the groove. But make sure the mating surfaces are oil/grease free. You will find a can of brake cleaner to be an excellent degreaser........ Just don't sniff it!
Oh, you should really fit a new cam cover gasket as well, but depending how the old one comes off, you may get away with re-using it.

mick znone
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: mick znone » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:46 am

ok guys, think ive described the wrong gasket, i mean the one at the top that the H shaped cover goes on, not the head gasket its self. :press :ooops

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:26 am

You mean the cam cover gasket ?. No such thing as a split gasket for that, it's one piece .

Geoff Meager
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#8 PostAuthor: Geoff Meager » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:08 pm

:shock:
Last edited by Geoff Meager on Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PJ
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: PJ » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:42 pm

mick z1a wrote:ok guys, think ive described the wrong gasket, i mean the one at the top that the H shaped cover goes on, not the head gasket its self. :press :ooops

Hi Mick I'm sure I hav a couple of spare cam gaskets,

PM me your address and I will send you one f.o.c, if you still need one?
WHO NEEDS DRUGS - WHEN YOU HAVE A ZED!!

bigmac103
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: bigmac103 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:22 pm

Hi Mick,
You talk about oil being spewed out! I recently had the tacho drive oil seal go and it spewed oil out over my right leg and around the cylinder head and up to the rev counter. Simple fix, just replaced seal from Z Power, the cam cover gaskets normally just weeps. Have a good look as already suggested before you spend money. I have a spare tacho drive seal if you need it f.o.c.
Lost in the desert somewhere

mick znone
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: mick znone » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:33 pm

thanks guys, im going to have a closer look tomorrow, had to pull away from it today, for mental health reasons :tick but feel better for having had a free day.

Return to “Bike Help”