Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Manual cam chain tensioner, advice

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

m1ks
100Club
100Club

Manual cam chain tensioner, advice

#1 PostAuthor: m1ks » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:23 pm

Does anyone use one of these, (the sort sold by debben performance).
I'm aware of their superiority for race use etc but just curious if anyone uses one on a road bike.
How they're set, tighten completely then back off x degrees or ?
How often they need to be checked and re-tensioned
Also if you'd consider one worthwhile.

My tensioner is currently OK but the bolt head is snapped, (as received), so a replacement will be fitted at some point, was just pondering one of the manual ones.

Any experience appreciated, cheers,

Mike

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: Al » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:38 pm

m1Ks there is a cross in the top right hand corner of the duplicate post if you want to delete it!

I converted the auto tensioner to have a manual back up bolt and nut cos i'm too tight to buy the real thing and dont like the look of the APE manual tensioners.

http://www.z1ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vie ... highlight=

AL

m1ks
100Club
100Club

Thanks

#3 PostAuthor: m1ks » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:34 am

I'll take a look at that, apologies for the duplicate, i didn't realise it had done so, will delete the other.

Can you provide more detail on the tensioning procedure, same as normal or any different?
Cheers

m1ks
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: m1ks » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:36 am

hmmmm.

can't find a duplicate?

Sorry if theres one there but I don't see one to delete?

phil churchett
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: phil churchett » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:29 am

m1ks wrote:hmmmm.

can't find a duplicate?

No problem, the duplicate post i deleted earlier.
Four pipes rule, anything else is second best.

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: Al » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:37 am

m1ks
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:36 am Post subject:
hmmmm.

can't find a duplicate?

I did one the other day.
After the post was eventually submitted i saw that there were two and simply went to the last one and deleted it with the cross in the top RH corner, wasnt pulling you're leg!!

With this mod; you cant over tighten the cam chain, unlike the APE ones.
The original spring is in charge of tension and the back stop bolt, nut and 'O' ring simply stops it slacking off when the engine is running.
The bolt cant generate enough torque to push the cross slide past (through) the plunger slide and advance it.
Similarly the cross slide has no torque reaction from the plunger slide because it is 99% absorbed by frictional losses.
For me its a win win situation and free too.

In truth; i find that the spring is no longer able to tension the plunger and therefore the cam chain to the correct degree.
With the engine warm but not either hot or stone cold and running you can slacken off the locknut and turn the bolt with you're fingers until the cam chain falls mostly silent.
As you turn the bolt with you're fingers you can feel the irregularities in the tension of the chain and the differing erratic tickover of the motor. Applying a small amount of pressure to the bolt will allow it to pre-load the chain just ever so slightly. If you go more than just a tiny amount it will start to complain.
This will show up more when the engine cools down and from cold will sound as noisy as a loose chain but a very different sound from a rattle.
On mine which is totally different to yours is sounds like 50 mph wind in the trees!!!!!! Was going to say shimmering hiss but that sounded ridiculous.

All of the above for 1981 J1 with HYVO chain and slipper blades but no rollers.
I believe the bike in question here is a Z650?

P.S. You will need a tiny 'O' ring between the lock nut and the body of the tensioner because it will weep ever so slightly.
The 'O' ring if not over tightened also serves to keep the lock nut from losening.
In de-burring the hole which i originally drilled i countersunk it slightly and this gives a nice seat for the 'O' ring on the engine side.

Hope this is of some use.

AL

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Manual cam chain tensioner, advice

#7 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:50 am

m1ks wrote:Does anyone use one of these, (the sort sold by debben performance).
I'm aware of their superiority for race use etc but just curious if anyone uses one on a road bike.
How they're set, tighten completely then back off x degrees or ?
mike

I use these on all of my road bikes as i'm a bit of a thrasher :D . Never had a problem with the std tensioners but better safe than sorry. On initial set up i use a std tensioner then remove it and set the manual one to the same length. I do this about once a year or when i remember if it starts to sound a little loose. Probably best to use this method each time if you haven't got a mechanics ''ear''.

m1ks
100Club
100Club

#8 PostAuthor: m1ks » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:44 pm

Thanks guys, yes Al, it's a Z650 F2.
Currently OK but as the tensioner needs modifiying at some point due to loss of the bolt head, (no idea how they managed that, mind) then your mod looks like a winner.

Cheers,

Mike

bigmac103
100Club
100Club

#9 PostAuthor: bigmac103 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:17 pm

I use the manual tensioner on my A4, and I check the valve clearance every 2k miles (basically every service). Each time I have the top off and I can see the chain then I retention the chain. This way you control the what's going on, seems to work well so far!
Lost in the desert somewhere

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#10 PostAuthor: Pigford » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:24 pm

Before fitting the manual tensioner (Orient Express or APE) check the adjuster bolt moves easily by hand.....

When fitted, turn it in by hand until resistance is felt (cam chain is tight) then wind out 1/2 a turn.... done & dusted :wink:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Big Fluff
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: Big Fluff » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:43 pm

Just fit a standard Z1000A1/2 tensioner, they are manual as standard and look like what Zorded has done with his. :up
Personally I think the APE etc are a waste of money and look like a lego add-on :lol:
I run the standard thou type on my turbo and have never had a problem, ever.
Kawasaki GPz750T, Kawasaki ZRX1100R, Kawasaki GPZ1000RX, H**** VF1000RG Rothmans, H**** VF500F2F, H**** CB1100RD, Suzuki GSX1100EFE, H**** XL125K2

HowieD
100Club
100Club

#12 PostAuthor: HowieD » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:02 pm

Instead of replacing the Tensioner because of the snapped head, cut a slot in the end and use a screw driver to tighten it.

Just a thought.....

regards
H
CD185, Maggot, Z1-R, Horace, Monster 620ie

Return to “Bike Help”