Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Basic carb setup

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Z1B Alan
100Club
100Club

Basic carb setup

#1 PostAuthor: Z1B Alan » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:31 pm

Had my carbs ultrasonicly cleaned [thanks Ginger Bear] and have now reasembled them ready for refit. Whilst setting up the slide heights I have noticed that if I set them all at 0.7mm from the notch to the venturi when the slides lift up to the fully open position two slides clear the venturi before the others. If I set them so they all clear the venturies at exactly the same time when they are in the shut position you can see that no2 is lowwer than the rest. I know if the no2 slide is adjusted too much you can lift the other three as when the slide bottoms out it rotates the common shaft and lifts the others this is definatley not the issue. I would like to know which set up is the most important level at top or bottom :?: my idea is at smaller throttle positions any differance would be critical as against full throttle where the percentage differance would be less.
any ideas welcome. I would just add there is no chance any parts could have become mixed between each other as they were all kept in sealed metal tins.
They run, They break , You spend and so it goes on

Garn 1
ZedHead
ZedHead

#2 PostAuthor: Garn 1 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:39 am

Alan, you are describing an impossible situation. I would think your bottom position (0.7mm) is not correct. Assuming you have the carbs off the bike, and you are viewing from the engine side, try two or three a 3/16"ball bearings and see if they all move down the throat simultaneously, then check the top to see if the slides disappear together.
RegardZ.
Garn (Sydney) Z1, Z1A, Z1B and Z900-A4

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:33 am

set the slide levels initially with throttle shut using either Garns ball bearing method or the plain shanks of four 2 or 3mm hss drill bits etc and adjust for tickover accordingly once running, this should be good enough for fairly smooth running but if you have them vacuum balanced you may find that the slides will sit at slightly different heights due to the pumping efficiency of each individual cylinder.

GEZ635
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: GEZ635 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:09 pm

I agree with zed1015 with regards to using a 2 - 3 mm drill bit.Adjust each carb until each slide comes into contact with the shank of the drill bit and offers a little resistance. Once all 4 are the same you should have a basic setup which will allow you to balance them correctly, although you may find they are pretty near as they are! I have just checked a perfect running set of z1b carbs and I can just get a 3mm drill under each slide with a little resistance.
Gez

GEZ635
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: GEZ635 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:10 pm

I agree with zed1015 with regards to using a 2 - 3 mm drill bit.Adjust each carb until each slide comes into contact with the shank of the drill bit and offers a little resistance. Once all 4 are the same you should have a basic setup which will allow you to balance them correctly, although you may find they are pretty near as they are! I have just checked a perfect running set of z1b carbs and I can just get a 3mm drill under each slide with a little resistance.
Gez

ade woollams
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: ade woollams » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:47 pm

whats the cost of ultrasonic cleaning on carbs and what gets cleaned
dragracing, because it takes more than one ball !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNoktjNP ... ture=share

Rich
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: Rich » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:58 pm

" my idea is at smaller throttle positions any differance would be critical as against full throttle where the percentage differance would be less. "

Set the slides for slow running as you say when open fully slide height is not critical as long as they all clear the venturi.
Rich
diplomacy is a form of art - I was never any good at art

ROZZER
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#8 PostAuthor: ROZZER » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:39 am

Looks like getting 4 off 3mm drill bits is the way to go our kid (did same on Daves Bonneville and it was spot on from the off). The 0.7mm you are checking is from the airbox side, engine side has bigger cut out on slide hence the 3mm drill bit will fit.
Gonna order a Carbtune 2 to replace my mercury gauges, so we can do final set up then. Just give it a run with initial set up, see if starting has improved after the ultrasonic clean' if not then its new refurb kits inc needle jets mucker.
AKA John Roscoe. PUM #028
1975 Z1B, 1980 Yamaha 350LC

Return to “Bike Help”