Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Jumping Gears - Silly Question - Return of the Simpleton

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Tonto
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Jumping Gears - Silly Question - Return of the Simpleton

#1 PostAuthor: Tonto » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:33 pm

Guys thanks for the advice re my earlier post re Clutch Slip - all is now fixed thanks ! I was hoping you might be able to cast some light on my latest problemo !
As seems the way with my A4, as I fix an issue another one materialises ! She'e now developed a habit where under hard acceleration it sometimes jumps out of second or third gear - but not all the time ! I reckon the bike simply dislikes me :bawl

I have read on t'internet the cause being the selector forks - or am I missing something obvious ? If it is the selector forks is it a nightmare job (I can barely wield a spanner !) I think I best start saving and seek professional help :save

Feck Feck Feck - Tim
"Better to remain silent and be thought an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove any doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
Z900A4 / Hodna CBXZ / Ducati Diavel / H1F 500 Mongrel / CBXZ Project / RD400 project

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:25 am

A common fault is jumping out of second.
Worn selector dogs are the usual suspect.
Can be bent shift forks if bike has had a very hard life but i'd go for the first conclusion.
I am at scunthorpe if you want help.

ruffle
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: ruffle » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:15 am

Has anyone ever tried dressing worn dogs?

I was looking at a friends MX bike's gear cluster yesterday (jumping out of 4th) and noticed the side of the dogs was just the 'raw' face of the casting so, presumably, not hardened.

Seemed to me that a bit of work with a file could loose the rounded over edge and restore the gear.

Anyone tried it?

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:05 am

ruffle wrote:Has anyone ever tried dressing worn dogs?

I was looking at a friends MX bike's gear cluster yesterday (jumping out of 4th) and noticed the side of the dogs was just the 'raw' face of the casting so, presumably, not hardened.

Seemed to me that a bit of work with a file could loose the rounded over edge and restore the gear.

Anyone tried it?

it can be done seen it done on a z900 road racing outfit in the late 70s

samspoons
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: samspoons » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:21 am

I had same problem on my A4 a number of years ago. On stripping engine ,taking sump off i found the selector fork shaft itself had developed a hair line crack and was bent. I changed this by pulling off gearbox sprocket cover, gearbox sprocket and inner cover and if i remember correctly the shaft just slides out and you might be able to do it with engine in if you take sump off. Be aware though when you remove shaft , forks will drop off so make sure you know where they were located for refitment. Its only a guess that you can leave engine in as mine was removed at time but i see no reason why not.
Changing the shaft cured all my problems and i didnt have to change or dress selector forks.

Big Fluff
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: Big Fluff » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:01 pm

My mate Dave Beck (UK pro-stock champion) does undercutting of all gears if anyone is interested.
He's just down the road from me. If I can help let me know.
Kawasaki GPz750T, Kawasaki ZRX1100R, Kawasaki GPZ1000RX, H**** VF1000RG Rothmans, H**** VF500F2F, H**** CB1100RD, Suzuki GSX1100EFE, H**** XL125K2

Return to “Bike Help”