Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Fitting Z1000A engine into Z650 frame

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

MikeSB6
Regular Poster

Fitting Z1000A engine into Z650 frame

#1 PostAuthor: MikeSB6 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:57 am

Hello all,
can anyone give me some info about fitting a Z1000 engine into a Z650 frame as regards checking valve clearances? I've had to tilt the engine forward to clear the swinging arm so the rear end is raised by about 1/2" but could be jiggled a bit as the engine plates haven't been made yet. The side lugs for the lower engine mounts on the engine are currently preventing lowering the engine any more but I'm not sure about trimming them as it might weaken the mountings.

Cheers, MikeJ
Too much is never enough

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Fitting Z1000A engine into Z650 frame

#2 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:19 am

MikeSB6 wrote:. The side lugs for the lower engine mounts on the engine are currently preventing lowering the engine any more but I'm not sure about trimming them as it might weaken the mountings.
Cheers, MikeJ

If you are talking about the actual aluminium mounts on the engine then under no circumstances must they be altered.
The original steel engine mounts on the 650 frame need to be removed.
You need some flat plate or bar stock across the lower frame rails with the SUMPLESS engine sat on these to get it level and start working out the position of the new mounts starting with the rear triangles and then the spacers either side to centralize the engine.
It will be much easier if just you use the bare crankcases at this stage rather than lugging the complete lump about.
You will probably end up making more than one set of rear plates before you get the correct position.
You want the engine sat parallel with the frame rails, not canted fore or aft.

MikeSB6
Regular Poster

#3 PostAuthor: MikeSB6 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:45 am

Hello Hardcore,

thanks for the information. I'm currently fitting a set of empty cases into the frame and making possible engine plate shapes using cardboard to try to get into the right area. If the engine is level in the frame, will it be possible to remove the cam cover to access the valves for adjustment?

Cheers, MikeJ
Too much is never enough

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:46 pm

It's been 30 years and many beers since I built my 6/9 which was very soon sold on for an offer I couldn't refuse but I vaguely recall that it was the head that couldn't be removed without pulling the entire motor first.
Pretty sure the cam cover could be slid backwards off the head after the carbs were removed.

MikeSB6
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: MikeSB6 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:40 pm

Hello,

thanks again for the info. So long as I can get the cam covers off that'll do nicely,

Good luck with whatever you're making at the moment,

Cheers, MikeJ
Too much is never enough

Big Fluff
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: Big Fluff » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:52 pm

MikeSB6 wrote:Hello,

thanks again for the info. So long as I can get the cam covers off that'll do nicely,

Good luck with whatever you're making at the moment,

Cheers, MikeJ

Speak to MDM (Dave Manning) as he has done this conversion before.
Regards, Will
Kawasaki GPz750T, Kawasaki ZRX1100R, Kawasaki GPZ1000RX, H**** VF1000RG Rothmans, H**** VF500F2F, H**** CB1100RD, Suzuki GSX1100EFE, H**** XL125K2

Return to “Bike Help”