Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Needle jets

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Nick.s
100Club
100Club

Needle jets

#1 PostAuthor: Nick.s » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:50 pm

Hi all, I have a set of vm26 carbs for my kz900 but there are no needle jets in them. I have some to put in but I’m not sure how’s best to install them, do they just push in from the bottom up? Is it best to warm the carbs up first?
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Nick

Julian_Boolean
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Needle jets

#2 PostAuthor: Julian_Boolean » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:59 pm

They just push in from the bottom, they should push in with your fingers, no need to heat the carbs (or I've got particularly strong fingers)
An expanding collection of parts pretending to be a Z1100R and a Yamaha FZ750

Nick.s
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: Nick.s » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:09 pm

Thanks, do you use a small bar to push them in? Or are your fingers very thin :biggrin

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Philippe » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:11 pm

Hi Nick.s
putting needle jets in the carb body is very tricky! The copper is very soft and thin so they deform very fast, take care!
I use an old needle and put that in the carb slide, I push the carb slide down so that the needle goes very deep in the carb body.
Turn the carb body upside down (hold the slide so it doesn't drop out) and spray some WD 40 in the "tunnel"where the needle jet has to come.
Insert the needle jet in the tunnel making sure that the old needle goes through the needle jet, acting as a guide.
Take the bleed pipe with the holes where the main jet has to come(without the main jet) and push it gently down until it reaches the bottom of the needle jet. Push a bit harder so that the needle jet slides in the carb body and screw in the bleed pipe. By doing that the needle jet is pushed gently in its place in the carb body .
I managed to replace many needle jets without damage in that way, I hope my explanation is clear to you and that you succeed.
Good luck
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Nick.s
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: Nick.s » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:44 pm

Thanks Phillippe, I don’t have any old jets as the carbs didn’t have any when I bought them. I will be very careful when I put them in hopefully with no problem. Oh I see what you mean now, yes I do have an old needle. :biggrin

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:58 pm

They are a light press fit from the bottom.
Stick them on the end of the needle jet tube with a bit of grease .
Make sure they are square and push and turn the jet tube by hand so it screws in and simultaneously presses the jet home.
Keep light pressure as you turn to take the load off the threads and stop if there is any resistance in case the jet has skewed.

Nick.s
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: Nick.s » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:19 pm

Success, a bit tighter than I expected but a good fit. Now to rebuild the rest of them.
Thanks guys
Nick.

Return to “Bike Help”