Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

New wires to alternator

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

JimBoUK
100Club
100Club

New wires to alternator

#1 PostAuthor: JimBoUK » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:34 am

Hi,

On my GPZ1100B1 the rubber grommet needs replacing where the alternator cover joins the crankcase.
For Z1's and Z1000's, ZPower do a replacement which is the grommet with the wires included.
The loom is different on a GPZ and they only do a new rubber grommet.

That's fine, my electric and soldering skills are good so I bought the new grommet.
When I went to try and pull the 3 yellow wires out of the old grommet they were solid and the sleeving cracked.
Hardly surprising after 40 years of heat and elements.
Therefore I need to replace the wires.

My thought are that the yellow wires might need to be high temperature type however the ones fitted look like normal wires.
Could I just use standard 13AWG wires for this or do I need a specific type ?

The black sleeving holding all 3 yellow wires is the high temperature fiberglass type so I have ordered some of this.

Where the yellow wires are soldered to the coil wires they have small fiberglass type sleeves fitted for insulation then they are tied with some sort of thread to the coil to keep it all in place. it also appears to have varnish on it to keep it put.
I have some high temperature, chemical resistant shrink tube I was going to use here but am not sure how to secure them. Any ideas ?

If anyone else has replaced these wires I'd be interested to know the approach you took

Here's a pic showing the 3 wires joined to the coil with the thread wrapped round to secure them

IMG_4318.jpg

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: New wires to alternator

#2 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:51 am

When I have repaired these I leave the varnished factory joint at the coil and splice in staggered shrunk wrap soldered joints between the strap on the coil core and the grommet.
The wire I have used is normal 13awg with no problems and either re-use the original sleeve if possible or fit new.

JimBoUK
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: JimBoUK » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:16 pm

That's a good idea zed1015 but ….
I had already taken it to bits before posting this - Doh
So I've gotta do a full replacement now

scott
Junior Section leader

#4 PostAuthor: scott » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:16 pm

I replaced the generator with an Electrex one, it comes with very long wires. This means that you don't have to try and resolve the problem of connecting wires within a hot oil bath. It worked very well when i did the same on my z1000A2. No more pissing about.

Return to “Bike Help”