Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Tappet clearances with head on bench

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

steve452
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Tappet clearances with head on bench

#1 PostAuthor: steve452 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:16 pm

In his 2018 book "How to Restore Kawasaki Z1, Z/KZ900 & Z/KZ1000" the author, Chris Rooke, comments that he'd wished he'd checked the valve clearances by temporarily fitting the cams onto the head and doing the measurements with the head on the workbench. Apart from making sure that the bushings are kept oiled during the process can anyone see a major problem with doing the clearances this way? I have not yet re-installed the head on my Z1-B rebuild so this seems a much easier method than doing it installed in the frame. I'll be using the Z-Power replica of the original valve lifter tool and rotating the cams by hand. Also, does anyone know the difference between the two special tools "Valve lifter holder" 57001-109 & 57001-113? The 109 is the tool listed in the July 15 1974 Rev. 3 version of the genuine Z series WS manual, but 113 is the part listed by Z-Power that their pattern replaces. I've looked at images of both but can't see any obvious difference.
Z1-B, 400bhp ZX1000NGF

90% of questions that begin "Why..." can be answered with "Because people are stupid."

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Tappet clearances with head on bench

#2 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:43 pm

You can bench shim to get them close but once bolted down on the motor and everything is torqued up they usually change but at least you know what shims are in and what size to swap if needed.
Just be sure to have the head elevated off the bench or you risk bending a valve.

steve452
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: steve452 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:48 pm

Many thanks young sir! Also for the advice re raising the head, which hadn't occurred to me, Doh!
Z1-B, 400bhp ZX1000NGF

90% of questions that begin "Why..." can be answered with "Because people are stupid."

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: z1bman » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:21 pm

set the clearances closer to the maximum rather than the minimum

CAT3
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: CAT3 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:38 am

The other thing you might find, never done it this way myself, is that the cams may not remain in some positions without being locked in place some how, because the valve springs will try to push the lobes of the valves not being measured.

steve452
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#6 PostAuthor: steve452 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:35 pm

Didn't think of that! May just bite the bullet and reinstall the head and work from scratch. At least I'll still know which shims are in which buckets from the start. Thanks for your help and thanks to all the guys who replied. Much appreciated.
Z1-B, 400bhp ZX1000NGF

DogsbolloxofZ1B
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: DogsbolloxofZ1B » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:22 pm

Only put one cam in at a time.. :D

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#8 PostAuthor: Pigford » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:55 pm

DogsbolloxofZ1B wrote:Only put one cam in at a time.. :D

That won't make any difference :lol:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

CAT3
100Club
100Club

#9 PostAuthor: CAT3 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:17 pm

It will if, for example an inlet valve is open & he turns the exhaust camshaft. It's possible to open an exhaust valve onto an open inlet valve, or vice versa.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#10 PostAuthor: Pigford » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:34 am

CAT3 wrote:It will if, for example an inlet valve is open & he turns the exhaust camshaft. It's possible to open an exhaust valve onto an open inlet valve, or vice versa.

True - I was thinking about getting each fully closed and the force of a different valve sometimes try's to move the cam if only half closed/open.
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

steve452
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#11 PostAuthor: steve452 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:17 pm

In the end I didn't manage on the bench. I tried with the inlet cam and tightened the cap bolts down to a good hand tight with a socket and T-bar with assembly lube on the bushes, but could I turn the cam by hand? The feck I could. On the positive side, at least I know the head threads are clean.
Z1-B, 400bhp ZX1000NGF

Mr Bump
100Club
100Club

#12 PostAuthor: Mr Bump » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:47 am

You need to wrap an old timing chain around the cam sprocket, then clamp a pair of mole grips to it. It's then quite easy to turn the cam while minimizing the risk of damaging anything.

Olly
'In your twenties you think you are immortal, in your thirties you hope you are immortal, in your forties you just hope it doesn't hurt too much'

Lemmy

steve452
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#13 PostAuthor: steve452 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:43 pm

Thanks for the advice but I did the clearances in the head in the end. After juggling them around found I only needed two additional shims in the end. Have ordered from Z-Power, along with a bossed front sprocket for the 630 chain as I couldn't be arsed to piss about with spacers in the end.

Many thanks to all for your valuable advice. I'll post some pics of the progress when the IT issues are sorted.

BTW which is the appropriate Forum heading to post pics of a rebuild in progress?
Z1-B, 400bhp ZX1000NGF

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#14 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:05 pm

steve452 wrote:
BTW which is the appropriate Forum heading to post pics of a rebuild in progress?

Post it in Projects.

Return to “Bike Help”