Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Choke check

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Martin.T
new poster

Choke check

#1 PostAuthor: Martin.T » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:38 pm

I have a kz1000 1978 how can i check that the chokes are closing properly after i have started the bike and it is warmed up. I`m having real problems getting the mixture correct on the plugs. Seems that whatever i do to the mixture screws doesn`t change the colour of the plugs and when the bike is ridden you can smell it`s running too rich. just wondering if the chokes are staying open, and how to check they are seating properly.
Thanks.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Choke check

#2 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:19 pm

Hi. The chokes will be bottoming out on their seats but they will certainly be leaking to some extent.
They all are at 40 odd year old..
Apart from a visual there's no real way of checking unless you pull the carbs and apply a syringe of fuel to the brass pick up tube and see it leaks past the plunger with light pressure.
As you may know the plungers are no longer available new but i do offer a re-seating service for your original plungers with ethanol resistant Viton to get them sealing as they should .

wilsonsjw11
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: wilsonsjw11 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:52 pm

Rob,
Received mine back last week, very tidy job.
Regards
Steve

Speedie
Regular Poster

#4 PostAuthor: Speedie » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:48 pm

Received my plungers back today from zed1015 (Rob) superb job and extremely quick turnaround.
Well worth having the job done for piece of mind and eliminating at least one possible cause of running rich.

Paul

Peteypops23
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: Peteypops23 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:33 pm

Speedie wrote:Received my plungers back today from zed1015 (Rob) superb job and extremely quick turnaround.
Well worth having the job done for piece of mind and eliminating at least one possible cause of running rich.

Paul

+1
Pete

Return to “Bike Help”