Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Starter Clutch rubber damper with Electrixworld Rotor

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

LeeJackson
100Club
100Club

Starter Clutch rubber damper with Electrixworld Rotor

#1 PostAuthor: LeeJackson » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:28 pm

Chaps

Looking for some help here. I’ve replaced my broken electrixworld rotor with a new one and now when I fasten everything up the starter gear is locked solid. So checking the few things I can think of, the rotor by itself goes on with a little thump and stays on when it’s on its own, but when the rest of the parts are fitted it does not, so the stack up of everything is too tight. All spacers etc seem to be correct so the only thing I can think of is the rubber damper. The one that was fitted measures in at 6.1mm but looks like it’s been cut down to this as it’s rough finished. If I reduce it further is this going to cause any other issues I’m not thinking about? Has anyone else had similar issues?
P
Thanks
Lee
Attachments
image.jpg

LeeJackson
100Club
100Club

Re: Starter Clutch rubber damper with Electrixworld Rotor

#2 PostAuthor: LeeJackson » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:36 pm

I decided to just go for it, trimmed it back a bit and refitted, rubber can move now with a little friction but something else is locking up under full torque. Tried fitting again without rubber and does the same. How frustrating

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:07 pm

It's locking because the rotor is sitting further down the taper ( typical Electrex quality control ) and is nipping up on the starter gear.
To check this you should remove one or both of the thrust washers either side of the roller bearing and it should spin free.
I have had this a few times on over lapped or worn tapers and had to do some machining of the starter boss and back of the rotor on the lathe to get some clearance back.
Depending on how much clearance is needed material may only have to be removed from one face..

LeeJackson
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: LeeJackson » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:36 pm

Confirmed this is the case, I’ve had the rotor on and off a few times now with various configurations and if I leave out the thrust washer at the front it’s all good. What a pain in the ass.

Return to “Bike Help”