Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Loose Offset Sprocket

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

kawasaki_man
100Club
100Club

Loose Offset Sprocket

#1 PostAuthor: kawasaki_man » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:33 pm

I have found that the nut holding the offset sprocket on my Z900 engine has a tendency to come loose after a few hundred miles. The offending sprocket nut will rotate and actually force its way past the bent over tab washer. I could not believe this at first, however I painted some marks to observe the slow rotation over a period of miles ridden and yes the nut was backing off slowly. The nut was previously tightened using an extension bar. I have now bent over 2 tabs on to the nut in the hope this might have sufficient resistance to prevent the nut backing off.

As a back-up plan I purchased a "lock nut" style sprocket nut from Z-power, I think it is the same item as used on the clutch. Does anyone have a positive experience of using this type of nut to hold the sprocket in place or advice on not using it?

Any comments / suggestions appreciated.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Loose Offset Sprocket

#2 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:59 pm

Yes! i use the locknut type and also apply a bit of loctite too.
The trouble with some of these offset sprockets is that the spline is too long and doesn't expose enough threads to fully take the nut especially the lock nut type.
The last batch of Talon ones were like this and i've had to machine the recess deeper to prevent the nut loosening.

flateddie
100Club
100Club

Re: Loose Offset Sprocket

#3 PostAuthor: flateddie » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:04 pm

I always use the zpower locknut on all of mine now never come undone as previous poster the offset sprockets are often a bit thicker
Z1b, z1000a1 x 2 , Aprilia v4 Tuono factory, SV1000

Return to “Bike Help”