Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Dyna S ignition problem

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Holeshot
100Club
100Club

Dyna S ignition problem

#1 PostAuthor: Holeshot » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:40 pm

My 78 1000 has a problem.
Background - it has Dynatek Dyna S ignition and Dynacoils & Taylor leads.
It has the Wired George relay trick fitted too.

Anyway, last Friday it started running poorly and felt like it was running badly on one cylinder but not really manifesting which one it was - just not able to Rev out cleanly. Took it out last week and after a few miles felt like it just went into 2 cylinders - 2+ 3 were cooler than the outer ones but thought I’d turn round and limp home. Ran a few more miles and there was a pop from the exhaust and it just went dead.
One Carol Nash rescue later and I’ve found out what the outcome is.

The Dyna S pick up on cylinders 2/3 has totally melted - big time.
I’m going to have to buy a replacement (if any one has one for sale, I’m interested!) but wanted to ask what you guys think before I shell out and fit it.

My questions are:
1) Do Dyna S ignitions often do this or should I be addressing the coil?
2) Also, should I be checking the regulator too?

Any thoughts or shared experiences welcome.

Cheers, Hilton

z2.john
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Dyna S ignition problem

#2 PostAuthor: z2.john » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:03 pm

Holeshot wrote:My questions are:
1) Do Dyna S ignitions often do this or should I be addressing the coil?
2) Also, should I be checking the regulator too?

Any thoughts or shared experiences welcome.

Most folk on here swear by Dyna, but I have had 2 fail on me. The first just stopped working on one of the pick-ups, the second one actually caught fire as I was riding. totally melted itself inside the points cover.

I was informed by someone that Dyna's do not like flat or duff batteries.

Holeshot
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: Holeshot » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:13 pm

Interesting, thanks John.

I’ve had it on my Zed for 25+ years, but that doesn’t in any way reflect the mileage. I never really felt a huge difference in spark performance but liked the fit it and forget aspect of it.

In this instance, the 2/3 module resembles a nasty, stinky piece of black porky scratching. I was quite shocked. Stinks like hell!
I’m worried the coil may have been the cause but there’s no visual or smelly evidence that it’s cooked. Didn’t feel hot when the bike went pop.

The battery’s pretty healthy.
Certainly a more healthy example than I’ve ridden with before.

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Al » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:28 pm

The 'S' pickups get their supply voltage directly from the supply to the coils. If you have the WG relay mod on the coils and there are any overcharging issues or voltage spikes above the normal range (14.7V Max) the pickups will see the full 'overcharge' and it will fry the pickups. They are sensitive to both over and under charge. There is a date stamp on the rear of the pickup baseplate. If that date is older than perhaps 15 years, i'd say you've had you're money's worth. Coils carry the date stamp too in Month / Year format. The insulation material of the coils has changed significantly for the better over the years and i would guess it would be the same for the pickups! I would be looking suspiciously at the regulator.

AL
1981 J1

KWACKERZ1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: KWACKERZ1 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:10 pm

I have found DYNA's to be very reliable and have only had them fail when they took a knock after a crash.
The HT coils themselves can eventually die as they are exposed to heat if mounted under the tank.
But I would stick with the dyna S and not a later 2000 as they need a control ecu etc.
The new dyna pickups have also been improved and are a different design( but still fit and work the same)

If you need a set try Chris at Grumpy 1260 he will do you the best price, tell him Phil recommended him.

Holeshot
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: Holeshot » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:58 pm

Cheers Phil & Al.

Really useful advice, thanks. Just what I needed to know.

I’ll give Chris/Grumpy 1260 a bell.
Looking forward to getting it fixed.

Thanks again guys.

Hilton :D

KeithZ1R

#7 PostAuthor: KeithZ1R » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:59 pm

Unless you are 100% sure that your coil power or trigger connections were not shorting due to movemment, or just being too close to the mounting studs then you are chasing ghosts, its always the most simple things that cause the problems because the electrics on these bikes are not complicated howeverer a short or similar situation will see off the dyna in short order ......... I will get my coat because other opions will be available :)
Keith
:bop :gom

You can never have too many tools in your life, except the two legged variety

I'm never wrong, once I thought I was but I was
mistaken.

Phil Churchett winner 2013

Holeshot
100Club
100Club

#8 PostAuthor: Holeshot » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:49 am

Thanks Keith.
The mounting studs do seem ‘uncomfortably’ close to the coil terminals. I’ll address that when I reinstall everything.
Cheers.

kev edwards
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: kev edwards » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:11 pm

I would also get rid of the weird George mod, if the harness is/has good clean and not botched contacts it will be more than enough to operate the ignition system.
Last edited by kev edwards on Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rickm
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: rickm » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:59 am

kev edwards wrote:I would also get rid of the weird George mod, if the harness is has good clean and not botched contacts it will be more than enough to operate the ignition system.

That's interesting, I think you're the first person I've seen who suggests that weird George way should be ditched. I've not tried it myself, even though my bike seems to struggle on the starter sometimes.
H2B GPZ900R

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:31 am

rickm wrote:
kev edwards wrote:I would also get rid of the weird George mod, if the harness is has good clean and not botched contacts it will be more than enough to operate the ignition system.

That's interesting, I think you're the first person I've seen who suggests that weird George way should be ditched. I've not tried it myself, even though my bike seems to struggle on the starter sometimes.

+1 on throwing Georges daft solenoid patch.
Just keep your wiring and switch connections clean.
Much simpler and less to go wrong.

KWACKERZ1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#12 PostAuthor: KWACKERZ1 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:08 pm

I agree with the boys, cannot see what benefit the wired george mod gives you.
I have always had a good 12v feed at the coils on all my zeds, If not then its been a wiring fault needing correction.

Return to “Bike Help”