Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1000 - Dyna S Ignition Timing Problem

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Mjay
Regular Poster

Z1000 - Dyna S Ignition Timing Problem

#1 PostAuthor: Mjay » Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:52 pm

Guys,
I recently purchased an import KZ1000 which I am in the process of checking over for using the bike in the summer. The bike has been cosmetically upgraded to look like a U.K. spec bike, twin discs, long rear mudguard, correct grabrail etc.

I have check the valve clearances, had to swap over a few shims but no issues at all.

Decided to check the ignition timing. The bike has been fitted with a Dyna S system - this includes the coils. I used a bulb method for this operation one wire to the N battery terminal, the other to the coil connector.

I thought this was going to be a nice straightforward job but….

On checking the timing (static) I was expecting to see the bike fire on the F mark. Unfortunately, the timing on both 1/4 and 2/3 is triggering at the T mark, assume this is TDC. Obviously this is incorrect.
I intended to set the timing to the F mark and then recheck the timing advance using a strobe. Problem is that I have run out of adjustment on the backing plate. I have rotated the plate as much as the slotted holes let me - this have moved the timing in the correct direction but I can’t align it with the F mark.
At the moment it is firing at the ‘1’ mark.

The Dyna unit was fitted by the previous owner so I cannot guarantee that it is the correct model for my bike. The advance mechanism seems absolutely fine and springs back after I manually rotate it to full advance.

I suppose I could elongate the 3 slotted holes on the backplate but I thought that it seems strange to have to do this. (please correct me if I am wrong)

Please see the attached image - this shows the firing point for cylinders 1 and 4. This is the best I can get with the backplate rotated as much as it can.

Any thoughts or comments on this would be greatly appreciated.

515F8E71-F7BD-4177-B7FF-61631CE80D9C.jpeg

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Z1000 - Dyna S Ignition Timing Problem

#2 PostAuthor: z1bman » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:08 pm

you have to set it on the full advance mark by turning the plastic cam on the advancer

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: z1bman » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:09 pm

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:19 pm

This is a common problem.
The Z900/Z1000 Dyna's DS2-1's have a choice of two different rotors to suit the early or later ignition advancers.
One marked 3A for advancers fitted to the early Z1's and the other marked 3 for later bikes.
If you have the wrong rotor it will cause the problem you have which is well known.
It is also possible that the pick-ups are on the wrong side of the back plate and flipping it round may solve the issue.

Mjay
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: Mjay » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:02 pm

Guys,

Firstly thanks for all the suggestions regarding this issue, most appreciated.

I followed what Zed1015 advised regarding flipping over the backplate.
I remove the pickups and flipped the backplate over, then reassembled the assembly back onto the bike.
I set the slots bang in the middle of the screws and checked the static timing on 1 & 4. It was almost spot on, the F marked is just a fraction away from the mark on the crankcase.
Needs a bit of fine adjustment to get it just right. Obviously I need to check 2 & 3 after this and adjust the Dyna module as necessary. I will check the dynamic timing with my strobe.

Strange that the bike was timed perfectly on the T mark on both 1/4 and 2/3. Whoever originally installed the Dyna and timed the bike must have been confused between the T and F marks when doing the static timing.

The bike did run ok, but it will interesting to try it now the timing has been corrected.

Please see the image - this is 1/4 which is now firing at the F mark.

0DFC4ED6-78F9-486F-B1EE-7C6F2F39E025.jpeg

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:09 pm

Looking at the most recent pic , it was the backplate that was the wrong way round.
A few people have had them coming like that from the factory.
Firing on TDC will lose a lot of power and waste fuel so you should see a decent improvement in performance and MPG.

Mjay
Regular Poster

#7 PostAuthor: Mjay » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:42 pm

Just started the bike after sorting out the timing.

It feels loads sharper and more responsive when blipping the throttle.

Will take it out for a run tomorrow and see how she performs. (as long as it is dry!)

I will post again after the run just to let everyone know how things went.

chrisu

#8 PostAuthor: chrisu » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:40 am

Not the only example. Someone I know bought a gs1000 that had been timed up like this. Went so much better when set correctly

Taffus

#9 PostAuthor: Taffus » Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:48 pm

yep, I can concur as it was my GS1000S goes like a bird and can even fly through fences! :blah

Mjay
Regular Poster

#10 PostAuthor: Mjay » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:48 pm

Glad to report that the bike runs really well after sorting the ignition timing.

It feels so much more smoother and powerful. It is a pleasure to ride the bike.

It did used to have a really poor pickup when pulling away in first gear, no such issues now!

Will hopefully have a ride down to Matlock Bath tomorrow, weather permitting.

Speedie
Regular Poster

#11 PostAuthor: Speedie » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:39 am

Fantastic knowledge and advice there from Rob zed1015. I appreciate it and it's not even my bike :D

Paul

chrisu

#12 PostAuthor: chrisu » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:07 pm

Taffus wrote:yep, I can concur as it was my GS1000S goes like a bird and can even fly through fences! :blah

A story that is going to run and run.................. bit like the bike.

Mjay
Regular Poster

#13 PostAuthor: Mjay » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:24 pm

I second that sentiment regarding the help from Zed1015.

I was almost on the verge of removing the Dyna system from the bike and purchasing a new one to replace it, as I was unsure that the one fitted was correct for my bike.

Following the advice from Zed1015 and flipping the backplate over solved all the issues and cost nothing, except for a bit of time.

I suppose this once again proves how helpful these forums are when trying to resolve issues with your bike.

rickm
100Club
100Club

#14 PostAuthor: rickm » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:24 pm

Just to be sure, I presume these were the "proper" Dyna S systems, and not the cheap Chinese copies which are available now?
For a highly recommended system (I've got one on my J) fitting the backing pate back-to-front is a bit... shall we say "careless" in production?
H2B GPZ900R

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#15 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:46 pm

rickm wrote:Just to be sure, I presume these were the "proper" Dyna S systems, and not the cheap Chinese copies which are available now?
For a highly recommended system (I've got one on my J) fitting the backing pate back-to-front is a bit... shall we say "careless" in production?

There's been a few Dyna's come from the factory with the backplate the wrong way round .
Easy to do i suppose when your producing in large volume.
As for the chinese copies, Dynatek have been making the "proper" Dyna's in China for years now and as far as we can tell the cheaper "copies" are identical and very likely come from the same factory.
They even use the same DS2-1 model number etc depending on fitment but without the Dynatek packaging.

Return to “Bike Help”