Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Closing up Z1B casings

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

shaggy
100Club
100Club

Closing up Z1B casings

#1 PostAuthor: shaggy » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:58 pm

Just about to close up my bottom casings do I need to pretension kickstart if so how
Have fitted new locking washers on gear selectors and a new cam chain should I replace anything inside before I close bottom cases
Tia

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Closing up Z1B casings

#2 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:40 pm

It’s been a while since I rebuilt a Zed engine, however I am sure you do not need to pretension the kick start.

There is a small o ring which needs to be fitted between the two casings for the main oil passageway from the oil pump.

You can download Kawasaki Z1 workshop manual from here, which would assist you.

https://www.z-power.co.uk/digital-downloads
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:36 pm

As Advised, Don't forget the special 'O' ring ( same type as fitted to the oil pump).
Anything else that may need replacing would be down to any obvious damage or wear to that particular engine and not something common to them all.
The kickstart shaft and ratchet etc needs fitting when the cases are joined but the spring is fitted and tensioned afterwards which is a very simple and easy job.

steve452
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: steve452 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:00 am

zed1015 wrote:...The kickstart shaft and ratchet etc needs fitting when the cases are joined but the spring is fitted and tensioned afterwards which is a very simple and easy job.

Not for someone with half a brain, as I managed to bugger it up twice! :lol:
Z1-B, 400bhp ZX1000NGF

90% of questions that begin "Why..." can be answered with "Because people are stupid."

Gray17
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: Gray17 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:33 pm

Did mine last week, as mentioned dont forget rubber seals on cases and oil pump, make sure kick shaft stay is resting on support, you dont need spring or alloy guide until cases are assembled, make
100% sure theres no high spots on cases with straight edge and both are perfectly flat, then use a suitable gasket material specifically for cases (i used 3bond 1104 as recomended by local main agent) it goes on liquid then sets semi rigid but allows easy removal. Note it dries silver, you may need a black one? Make sure you get all case bolts in correct positions, some are slightly longer then others and will puncture case if tightened wrongly so be aware!
As for kick start, i also found it fiddly to get spring and guide on but managed it after a few goes maybe it gets easier if youve done a few.

Return to “Bike Help”