Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Oil pump

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

sean_rfi
Regular Poster

Oil pump

#1 PostAuthor: sean_rfi » Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:49 pm

Hello All,

I've just dismantled my Z900 A4 oil pump for general check over and new gasket. After cleaning I could see some score marks in the machined surfaces that the gears run inside. I'm guessing that they're not too serious but thought I should check with you chaps before reassembling.

20230708_181638.jpg

20230708_181922.jpg

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Oil pump

#2 PostAuthor: z1bman » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:46 pm

It looks scrap to me

sean_rfi
Regular Poster

#3 PostAuthor: sean_rfi » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:59 am

That's not good news. Is there anywhere that does reconditioning or do I need to trail through what's for sale online - the problem is that it you mostly get photos of pumps that have been taken off bikes and are still assembled.

sean_rfi
Regular Poster

#4 PostAuthor: sean_rfi » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:18 am

That's not good news. Is there anywhere that does reconditioning or do I need to trail through what's for sale online - the problem is that it you mostly get photos of pumps that have been taken off bikes and are still assembled.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:42 am

I'd say that looks a lot worse than it is due to the camera magnification and resolution.
All these pumps have some radial scoring but as long as there's no big gouges it should be ok.
The crucial measurement is the side clearance so ensure that is within tolerance and you can always check the pressure once running.

sean_rfi
Regular Poster

#6 PostAuthor: sean_rfi » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:18 pm

Thanks for the replies. I checked the clearance between the gears an the cavity walls and it measures 0.03 - 0.04mm. The gear side to side play looks pretty good too. I was just concerned with the score marks but there wad quite a lot of crud collected on the oil strainer gauze.

gray
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: gray » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:08 pm

i suppose it doesn't really matter what it looks like so long as it develops the required pressure over the required rev range, at normal running temperature. If you're planning trackdays then you would set your bar higher I'm sure. So fit it, flush it of air then find an oil pressure gauge to fit onto the end of the oil gallery and see what you get. The manual will tell you what's good and what's not.
gray

Return to “Bike Help”