Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Gear selection problem

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

sleezebag
new poster

Gear selection problem

#1 PostAuthor: sleezebag » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:10 am

can anyone help, I have recently bought a Z900a4 and it will only go into first and then back to neutral. I have removed the clutch and that looks fine no sticky plates but I remember seeing on here something about a spring coming off and was hoping someone could tell me where this could be found. I have not ridden it yet and I know some have said they only go into second when moving but when I had my original one in 76 I was able to select any gear when stationary so im a bit confused why this would be the case. I would be grateful for any help before I have the engine out and total strip down.

chrisu

Re: Gear selection problem

#2 PostAuthor: chrisu » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:02 am

thats the way it should be. Positive neutral finder.

as you said - spin the back wheel and it'll go into second.

have a look at the diagram below - parts 40 and 41 specifically. these 3 little ball bearings control this i believe. If these are stuck or removed this feature is removed.

https://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/kawasaki-kz900a4-1976-usa-canada-transmissionchange-drum_bigkar103064703_e24d.gif

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:38 am

As Chris says.
There's nothing wrong and you can only get 1st and neutral at a standstill.
Once the transmission is spinning you can get the rest of the gears due to the 3 lockout ball bearings being released centrifugally.
Removal of the ball bearings allows all gears to be selected at a standstill which is a common mod for racing to allow for 2nd gear bumpstarts etc.

sleezebag
new poster

#4 PostAuthor: sleezebag » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:53 pm

thanks for your help its much appreciated. I have now serviced the bike and rode it earlier and yes it is going through the gears so panic over but when I had my one in 76 I read an article somewhere that they could pull away in 5th so like any 17 year old with a new toy I had to try it and I was sure that I selected 5th from a standing position and not by being in motion first, but as that was 47 years ago I can now use my age as an excuse for not remembering exactly what I did ha ha.

chrisu wrote:thats the way it should be. Positive neutral finder.

as you said - spin the back wheel and it'll go into second.

have a look at the diagram below - parts 40 and 41 specifically. these 3 little ball bearings control this i believe. If these are stuck or removed this feature is removed.

https://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/kawasaki-kz900a4-1976-usa-canada-transmissionchange-drum_bigkar103064703_e24d.gif

sleezebag
new poster

#5 PostAuthor: sleezebag » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:55 pm

thanks for the help much appreciated

zed1015 wrote:As Chris says.
There's nothing wrong and you can only get 1st and neutral at a standstill.
Once the transmission is spinning you can get the rest of the gears due to the 3 lockout ball bearings being released centrifugally.
Removal of the ball bearings allows all gears to be selected at a standstill which is a common mod for racing to allow for 2nd gear bumpstarts etc.

Return to “Bike Help”