Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1r carbs, new one to me

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

lta01
Regular Poster

Z1r carbs, new one to me

#1 PostAuthor: lta01 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:04 pm

I have a 78 model Z1r, said to have been imported to Uk from Italy many years ago. It had not really been used for several years, so checked it over, gave it a few runs, then serviced it. Apart from some brake work, its great...superb smooth tight quiet engine, I love it.

Came to adjust carbs at tickover, nos 1,2 & 3 all adjust well at about 1+1/4 to 1+1/2 turns out on air screw, but no 4 needs to be at about 3/4, and this cylinder sems weak in tickover contribution.

Thought I'd do a bit of careful adjustment of the metering screw underneath the front of the carb ....except there are NO screws in the holes.... looking with mirror, the holes look to have a small blanking plug pushed high up into them....I've never seen plugs in the metering holes before....has anyone else ? (I tried to put a metering screw in but the hole is definitely blocked because the screw won't even go in far enough to get near the thread starting.)
He who dies with the most toys wins .

debben1
100Club
100Club

#2 PostAuthor: debben1 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:24 pm

The z1r had an air screw above and to one side of the venturi and not an air screw below the front of the venturi, (unless I have mis understood your post). If not then I think the californian models had an anti tampering plug (like a brass cap) fitted for the tighter emissions controls, Regards, Steve

debben1
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: debben1 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:26 pm

One of the Z1R restoration guys should be along to answer this more positevly than I can, Regards, Steve

Reecy
100Club
100Club

loz check mine out

#4 PostAuthor: Reecy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:38 pm

Loz,

Get round to inspect my Z1R on sunday-mine is an Italian import also, so should have same carb type (you would expect so anyway).

The Z1000 brakes are much better today thanks for your assistance last night.

Reecy

lta01
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: lta01 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:42 am

Reecy, I'll nip round at soem point during the week.

Steve, yes, the air screw is on the side, but the Z1R carbs are VM28SS model which also have the "do not touch" metering screw underneath.....or at least every set I've ever seen has had them before.

I guess the holes must be genuinely plugged, because without the metering screw in the hole, the running should be awful ( it isn't ) and there would be mixture fuel weeping out of the open hole in the bottom of the carb.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:23 am

I have three UK z1r's, All with vm28's . None of which have fuel pilot mixture screws fitted or anti tamper plugs, Just the undrilled casting. All the 'Z' mikunis i have with this fitted are 26mm off either early z1/9 or later z1000a's with the superior fuel pilot circuit. Some Suzuki GS mikuni's have this but couldn't say specifically which except the 34mm 1000 katana's which i've fitted to my Z1R fighter. Anything with an anti tamper plug fitted is usually an import model.

lta01
Regular Poster

#7 PostAuthor: lta01 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:45 pm

Thanks, that explains it. I'm quite new to Kawasakis, most of my experience is on S*z*u*i GS's , and as you say, they mostly do have the metering screws so i've never seen a set with either undrilled castings or blanking plugs before.

ted1r
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

po

#8 PostAuthor: ted1r » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:30 pm

Mine is also a Italian import and I have the normal Side mounted air screws as with any 28 mm`s.

Ted
"Work this is why I did it"

KE250
KZ1200
Puch Maxi
Be careful with Pensions :e
and me ol Granada

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: po

#9 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:28 pm

ted1r wrote:Mine is also a Italian import and I have the normal Side mounted air screws as with any 28 mm`s.

Ted
Yes. Most will still have the side mounted air screws and some will also have the fuel metering screws underneath. As Debben says. The anti tamper plug usually originates on american spec (i.e californian) machines to comply with their strict emmision laws and maybe this is also the case with the italian spec machines .Unless of course you have an american import that got shipped to italy then to the uk :?: OOPS! :D

ted1r
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#10 PostAuthor: ted1r » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:26 pm

I`ll have a closer look at this I might have mongerel :lol: :lol:

Ted
"Work this is why I did it"

KE250
KZ1200
Puch Maxi
Be careful with Pensions :e
and me ol Granada