Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z650 refresh...

Work in Progress

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

MDM
100Club
100Club

#91 PostAuthor: MDM » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:03 pm

As it happens, I did think of using the arm as an oil tank, but decided that it'd not hold enough. But rethinking it now, maybe it would...

While I had the MIG out, I made up a pair of brackets for the oil tank to weld onto the frame cross member where the centre stand was once mounted, and tacked them in place. they can be properly welded up when the whole thing is stripped down.

With the bracket made for the oil pump, I planned for it to be rubber mounted to a matching bracket on the frame, so I cut out some sheet steel and blobbed it together. It ain't pretty in this pic, before it was tidied up.
Knowing roughly where I wanted it (on the removable cross-member come rear engine mount), I unbolted it and wiggled it out (a tad awkward with the engine still in place), cleaned the powder-coat off and welded the bracket into place. Fully. Not tack welds.
Guess what? Yep, it's in the wrong place. It needs to be further over to the left to give room for the feed and return lines.
So, back out it comes, cut it off with a slit saw, clean it all up again and re-weld, this time only tacking it in place to make sure it was right. Lesson learned. The oil line can now run up from the oil tank at the right hand side to the pump, then from pump to turbo and then the big oil return hose can go back to the tank at the back of the engine, towards the chain side.
Z650/1100 turbo, GPz750 rolling resto, Z650 restomod

MDM
100Club
100Club

#92 PostAuthor: MDM » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:54 am

Ages ago I mentioned the issues with the rear brake, in that the disc is quite small, and I was struggling to find a caliper hanger that I could use / butcher to suit.
After being pointed in the direction of an RG500 hanger, I bought one and, lo and behold, it has the right dimensions for the cast iron disc on the Dymag wheel, although the RG spindle was somewhat smaller than the 25mm spindle in my Martek swinging arm. Fortunately, the RG hanger has (or rather, had) a steel bushing that could be drifted out.
As I'm using a Bandit rear caliper, with the built-in torque arm mount, I didn't need the mount on the caliper hanger, so that was lopped off.
After waving the measuring stick around the back end, I had some measurements and asked a mate (thanks Sam!) to make up a new bushing, beautifully made in stainless steel and pressed into place (once the bush had spent a night in the freezer and the hanger a morning in the oven)
And that was all fine and dandy, hanger fitted to the bike and caliper bolted into place. Except that when the caliper bolts were nipped up...

Yep, the upper edge of the caliper is fouling on the hub of the Dymag. Buggeration.
You can see on this pic that I'd already ground off a bit of the caliper to try and get clearance, but more is required...
So I ground some more off, perhaps getting a bit gung ho in the process...

Piss flaps. That's the piston seal peeping out. On the plus side, there seems to be plenty of clearance to the hub, so I had taken too much meat off the caliper. I've another Bandit caliper on its way, so I can try again, this time being a bit more delicate with the grinder.

000zeds
ZedHead
ZedHead

#93 PostAuthor: 000zeds » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:50 pm

What about taking some off the hub,

Only an idea :idea: :idea: :idea:
Zeds-R-Us

MDM
100Club
100Club

#94 PostAuthor: MDM » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:50 pm

twozeds wrote:What about taking some off the hub,
Only an idea :idea: :idea: :idea:

What, and ruin the lovely powder-coat? :lol: :lol: :lol:
To be honest, I can easily attack a caliper myself, but cutting an even amount off around the hub is beyond a grinder and enthusisasm... And I'd rather have a compromised caliper than a compromised hub, if you get my drift? :wink:

000zeds
ZedHead
ZedHead

#95 PostAuthor: 000zeds » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:12 pm

I get your drift ok but what about getting someone to do it on a lathe :?:
Zeds-R-Us

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#96 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:15 pm

How close to the edge of the disc are the pads.
Maybe you could fit a new spindle bush in the hangar with an offset hole to move the caliper away from the hub.

MDM
100Club
100Club

#97 PostAuthor: MDM » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:56 am

Good thinking Rob, but the bush was very thin-walled, so the hanger would have to be machined as well, and if I was going to get that done then I might as well get a new hanger made, but I've not got the finances (or abilities) to do that. So a bit more finesse with the next caliper will have to do the trick.
Although I've now been distracted with coil mounts...

MDM
100Club
100Club

#98 PostAuthor: MDM » Wed May 04, 2016 7:38 pm

Not posted recently, not because I've been doing nothing, but because I haven't got any pics as I dropped my phone in my pond... I was trying to get a pic of five frogs sat in a line you see...
Some more pics soon, but I have made some coil mounts, modified the battery box, fitted the oil and fuel pumps on mounts (undecided yet if I use the fuel pump of not).
And the bodywork has gone off for paint...

MDM
100Club
100Club

#99 PostAuthor: MDM » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:10 pm

I appeared to have mislaid some of the BotoPhuckit pics... I'll try and resolve that at some point. Maybe.
Anyways, fings what I have got done...
The breather tank, still needing fittings welded in but now has had the bottom reworked so the tyre doesn't hit:-
And the caliper hanger has its new bushing pressed in place.

MDM
100Club
100Club

#100 PostAuthor: MDM » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:11 pm

The bracket for the oil pump was welded onto the upper rear engine mount -
So it sits like this -
... actually, no it doesn't, I swapped it round to give more clearance between the pump (fittings) and the chain, like dis -

MDM
100Club
100Club

#101 PostAuthor: MDM » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:12 pm

And some more stuff that I did, but I've not got the pics off m y new phone yet. Ahem.
Oh, and it's been re-wired. Not by me, but by a man versed in the dark art of electrickery, who manages to cut and join wires without the magic smoke coming out.

MDM
100Club
100Club

#102 PostAuthor: MDM » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:25 pm

Bracket for the fuel pump (if I decide to use it) added to the battery box.

MDM
100Club
100Club

#103 PostAuthor: MDM » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:22 pm

Instead of the standard 'breather tower' sat on the top of the crankcases, I had a flat plate one that I didn't really like, and wanted to use the Z1000 style, like this:-
But, due to the Rajay turbo, there wasn't room for it, it needed to be at kleast 20mm shorter. So I cut a bit out...
Yeah, I removed a bit more than 20mm. Your point is?... :-)
And then I TiG'd the two bits back together and cleaned up the bloody awful welds. It was bloody awful stuff to weld, not that that is any excuse for my pitiful welding skills.
And this is it bolted into place atop the cases, with the junk plate one beside it. I'll be putting a fitting into it for a breather hose next week...

MDM
100Club
100Club

#104 PostAuthor: MDM » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:26 pm

Oh, and thanks to Will Barber for the breather tower! ;-)

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#105 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:02 pm

Sorry to be the one to point this out but you have produced an exact replica of a standard z650 breather cap but without the breather hole in it :lol:
I have one in the shed you could have had for nowt .

Return to “Projects”