Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Double the troublezz. AMA style Racecrafters Z1000 and Moriwaki Z1R Turbo.

Work in Progress

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Double the troublezz. AMA style Racecrafters Z1000 and Moriwaki Z1R Turbo.

#211 PostAuthor: moizeau » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:50 pm

Rob, you should buy a load, rework them and sell them out
Pete

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#212 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:04 pm

moizeau wrote:Rob, you should buy a load, rework them and sell them out

At the £700 + each they sting you for to start with i don't think it would be a worthwhile effort..
Last edited by zed1015 on Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#213 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:57 pm

Had a MAJOR stroke of luck this morning regarding the rotor puller dilemma.
The back of the original rotor hub just happens to have three plain blanked 6mm holes next to the threaded through holes for the starter clutch mounting bolts.

SUNP0201.JPG

They serve no purpose in the assembly of the alternator and must have been there for locating on a machining jig at the factory.
I can't believe my luck with this but they are perfect for mounting a puller and i don't have to spend a couple of hours making a one off indexing jig to get my own holes drilled at exactly 120 degrees apart.
They were only a couple of millimeter short so once drilled through and tapped m8 i was able to machine the hub to the correct length for mounting the electrex rotor without having to retain the extractor bolt threads.

SUNP0194.JPG

Plenty of distance between the mounting bolts and the hub for when it comes to making the puller.
SUNP0196.JPG

There's still a few of the original extractor threads left in the hub but they are too shallow for the bolt to get a decent engagement so these will be machined out to allow the puller bolt to pass through and the Electrex rotor can now fit virtually unmodified with just a locating pin needed to complete the main work of the conversion .
SUNP0200.JPG

So after a few minutes rummaging around in the scrap bin i found a 4mm x 10mm needle bearing roller which was ideal for the job once it was pressed in to a suitably sized hole..
The pin also bridges the intersection of the hub and pressed on outer sleeve and locks them all together for belt and braces security.

SUNP0210.JPG

A corresponding hole in the rotor ( which was drilled first then transfered to the hub ) now ensures that it isn't relying on the tightness of the rotor bolt to prevent it moving.
SUNP0212.JPG

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#214 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:52 pm

The M16 x 1.5 tap i've been waiting for turned up today for the Kawasaki puller bolt thread so spent a few productive hours in the shed knocking up the puller.

The inner m8 bolts fit the modified kawasaki rotor hub.

SUNP0234.JPG

And the outer m6 bolts fit the Electrex one.
SUNP0236.JPG

The main body is aluminium with the threaded center being a steel top hat that has been pressed in from the inside and i'll eventually come up with a proper holding tool to prevent it from turning when i decide the best way to do it.

A couple of test runs with the rotor torqued up proved successful so i can now go ahead with tweaking the final fit and freewheeling clearance for the starter gear.

SUNP0239.JPG

r3sc
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#215 PostAuthor: r3sc » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:56 pm

That’s looking really good and well thought out!

Z1streetfighter71
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#216 PostAuthor: Z1streetfighter71 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:07 am

Said it before and ill say it again, you are on the next level to the best of us mate.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#217 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:12 pm

Got the freewheel clearance sorted and had a bit of starter clutch thrust washer and shim tweaking to do to move the starter clutch and gear inboard another millimeter or so as it's face was just clipping the inside of the cover so with that done there's just one more job to do on the rotor assembly before tackling the final flaw of the Electrex alternator.

As you can see on the stock rotor and starter clutch there's a dowel which locks the two together

SUNP0243.JPG

This is because the three fully threaded short rotor mounting bolts are a very slack fit in the body of the starter clutch with over a millimeter of slop and without the dowel in place the clutch and rotor will shift about on acceleration and deceleration which will cause the bolts to eventually loosen at the very least .
SUNP0247.JPG

I had already planned on a solution for my own rotor mount because the dowel location in the scrap rotor was deleted when the hub was removed as it was in the surrounding ally.

But it also turns out that the Electrex mount on the right doesn't have provision for the dowel either which is a another major balls up so anyone running one needs to keep and eye on the bolts and ideally perform the same solution as mine .

SUNP0248.JPG

Which is a top hat sleeve .
SUNP0220.JPG

Pressed into each hole .
SUNP0218.JPG

And in the true spirit of recycling they are genuine repurposed Kawasaki Z1 camchain top idler collars which were exactly the correct diameter at the wide end to fit the counter bore and just needed a slight height reduction of the wider face to allow the bolt head to remain just below the surface to clear the starter gear and the smaller tube sections o/d slimming to allow a tight press into the housing .
SUNP0227.JPG

And then the excess length on the opposite side reducing with a counter bore cutter.
SUNP0222.JPG

Until they sat flush with the surface .
SUNP0224.JPG

And once in i was able to carefully bore the sleeves to a tight slip fit on the plain shank portion of some longer bolts ( more Kawasaki of the same tensile strength ) without fear of the thin walls collapsing in the process now that they are supported ..
SUNP0228.JPG

And then trim them the to the correct length.
SUNP0229.JPG

The original bolts on the right were short of using all the available threads so i've made the replacements longer to take advantage of them all .
SUNP0232.JPG

So that the ends sit flush to the surface and help spread the torque a little more.
SUNP0233.JPG

And that's it.
Not one bit of radial play even with the bolts just slotted in and certainly more secure than the original single dowel which have been known to work loose .
Last edited by zed1015 on Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:09 pm, edited 8 times in total.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#218 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:57 pm

One last job before i can finally fit the alternator permanently and go do something else.

For your hard earned cash the Electrex offering comes with a bonus feature that will starve the top end of oil and destroy your cams in the process.

This "feature" means there's no provision in the fancy cnc'd cover for the capping of the main oil gallery as can be seen highlighted on the stock cover

SUNP0161.JPG

And ensures that all the lovely oil that gets pumped up from the sump immediately takes a short cut straight back down via this open end of the main oil gallery with very little chance of it ever giving the cylinder head a visit :shock: :( .

What's even more shocking is that Electrex have known of this fault for years and are still selling them with no modification and no mention of the issue to the buyer :evil: :evil: :evil:

SUNP0282.JPG

The solution would appear to be a simple bung but due to Electrex's brilliant idea of positioning the output wires, cable strap, mounting screw and grommet in the same spot it's not as straight forward as it should be .
SUNP0252.JPG

So first up was to machine the diameters on some ally bar and then add a couple of milled flats to clear the casting boss and rubber grommet.
SUNP0255.JPG

And then a more elaborate three stepped arrangment on the other side.
SUNP0267.JPG

With one of the stepped recesses to clear the screw, the other to prevent the cable strap and wires ever moving away from the cover and getting cut by the starter gear as it runs very close to them .
SUNP0256.JPG

And the longer protrusion to butt up against the inside of the cover once fitted to keep the tight push fit bung seated against the oil pressure and the sharp edge on the milled flat for the grommet radiused where the output wires pass to prevent them chafing .
SUNP0268.JPG

Job done ready for the cover.
SUNP0283.JPG

And to finish it off i've also counterbored the covers mounting holes for a neater look and added one of those Ricks HD starter motors for an easier life spinning the higher comp motor.

SUNP0241.JPG

SUNP0279.JPG
Last edited by zed1015 on Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#219 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:29 pm

Got a good few hours in recently but mainly on stuff that can't be seen.
Rebuilt the oil pump and made this oil pan gate which allowed me to blast, paint and fit the sump to the motor with new 'O'ring and sump plug.

Gate open
SUNP0299.JPG

And gate closed
SUNP0300.JPG

And got the camcover, kickstart and trans covers painted in the same session and fitted along with the offset sprocket and bearing.
SUNP0305.JPG

Then for something a bit more interesting to do i picked up some 250mm squares of 10mm 7075 alloy plate to make two duplicates of my Z1R's outrigger bearing support plate.
SUNP0306.JPG

And once trimmed close to size they were just small enough to fit in the 4 jaw so i could bore the holes for the bearing support stub.
SUNP0312.JPG

Which was then used to pin on the Z1R's plate with a tight fitting mandel .
SUNP0313.JPG

Along with a cap head screw bolted through to lock it in position.
SUNP0316.JPG

So all the mounting holes could be accurately transfered over.
SUNP0317.JPG

Once all the holes were done both new plates were bolted together and the excess material trimmed off with the disc cutter close to the scribed outline
SUNP0323.JPG

And then clamped in the mill to machine the plates as a pair up to the outline of the final shape. .
SUNP0327.JPG

SUNP0331.JPG

After rounding off the corners it was time for a test fit which was spot on but the plain alloy just didn't look right and needed some sort of detail .
SUNP0336.JPG

So pinched one of the grandkids felt tips and had a play about until i got something i was fairly happy with then gave the mill another visit.
SUNP0341.JPG

That's more like it.
Can't go wrong with go faster stripes..
Just need to make the standoff spacers and bearing stub to complete it and those slots are probably going to get infilled in black.
Gonna leave the other one blank for now and see if i can come up with a different design that suits the Moriwaki themed turbo build.

SUNP0346.JPG

HowieD
100Club
100Club

#220 PostAuthor: HowieD » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:33 pm

You can't beat some Go Faster Stripes :blah

IMG_8859.jpeg
CD185, Maggot, Z1-R, Horace, Monster 620ie

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#221 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:32 pm

Finally got the motor buttoned up.
Outer covers and external cam oiling lines fitted so filled with oil and spun on the starter until oil appeared from the cam journals then sealed up the cam cover after fitting some ally cam end plugs.

SUNP0361.JPG

Clutch cover has quite a bit of meat on it so added a bit of extra dimension with a protective recess for the denso graphic.
Much nicer than just slapping it on the surface and prevents the sticker edge getting caught when cleaning .

SUNP0303.JPG

Made some stainless exhaust studs and got the downpipes on but they run very close to the sump and the collector fouls the stock filter cover so had to knock up another low profile version with flush fitting bolt the same as i did on the alloy cafe..
SUNP0357.JPG

After skimming the filter cover level with the sump fins and machining a recess for the filter bolt head an original filter bolt was cut and shut shorter by 15mm.
The bolt head was then machined off, a hex to take an allen key broached in and the bare steel head was sweated with sifbronze to keep it rust proof.

SUNP0354.JPG

Plenty of clearance for the collector now.
SUNP0364.JPG

Also felt there was something missing from the outrigger plate so added a couple of arcs to highlight the bearing stub mount.
SUNP0368.JPG

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#222 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:30 pm

With the filter cover height reduced the collector is now fitted complete with spring tags and springs
SUNP0390.JPG

And the cut down Kerker can rebuilt and repacked complete with NOS early style Kerker " Racing System" badge .
SUNP0374.JPG

Which completes the exhaust .
SUNP0375.JPG

SUNP0377.JPG

And the eagle eyed may notice that the angle grinder has been back in action again which has resulted in the link pipes third and final incarnation which takes a straighter path to the can and is tucked in tighter to the frame for better ground clearance.
SUNP0378.JPG

SUNP0387.JPG
Last edited by zed1015 on Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r3sc
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#223 PostAuthor: r3sc » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:52 pm

That is a thing of beauty! It’s a beautifully made monster! Keep the posts coming!

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#224 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:09 pm

Plugging away at the small snagging jobs that seem to take much longer than they should.

Bottom rear shock eyes needed the bolt hole diameter reducing down to 10mm to match the XJR arm with the aid of some top hat sleeves .

SUNP0417.JPG

Which also centralises them in the 4mm wider mounts.
SUNP0422.JPG

And a 2mm spacer on the inside of the top mount to keep them parallel.
SUNP0421.JPG

The 5/8th's offset sprocket prevented the inner steel guard from being fitted so have added a 15mm extension.
SUNP0394.JPG

Which will get powercoated satin black to blend in with the cases when i take in the next batch.
SUNP0407.JPG

The outrigger plate now has it's mounting spacers and bearing support stub.
SUNP0405.JPG

Which completes that assembly apart from final paint and polish.
SUNP0396.JPG

And while i was making the outrigger spacers i also knocked up the rear brake torque arm.
SUNP0423.JPG

Now that the side stand is on i found that all the gear linkage arms i have were too long which caused the ball joint to foul the side stand bracket or spring so found these splined steel blocks online so i could make one to the correct length and offset.

BEFORE... DURING ... AFTER ...

SUNP0402.JPG

They came in a pack of five so will make a couple more while i'm at it for the turbo etc and have them zinc plated.
SUNP0404.JPG

Once that was done the knock on affect of the shorter arm also caused link rod to slightly foul the footrest plate so had to mill a recess for clearance.
SUNP0401.JPG

SUNP0398.JPG

Next up was to make a polyethelene chain guide
I usually use a 60mm block and mill out a slot so it slips over the swing arm but the price of anything over 30mm now appears to need a second mortgage so had to use some 30mm and 12mm sheet and make it in sections.

SUNP0425.JPG

Doesn't look too bad and will do the job.
SUNP0410.JPG

And that is the left side more or less done.
SUNP0415.JPG
Last edited by zed1015 on Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:25 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Gus
Hardcore
Hardcore

#225 PostAuthor: Gus » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:49 pm

Hi Rob.

What is this arrangement for?

Screenshot 2024-02-16 134628.png
Screenshot 2024-02-16 134628.png (68.67 KiB) Viewed 91292 times
"Set the GRINDER on it"

Return to “Projects”