Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Double the troublezz. AMA style Racecrafters Z1000 and Moriwaki Z1R Turbo.

Work in Progress

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Double the troublezz. AMA style Racecrafters Z1000 and Moriwaki Z1R Turbo.

#226 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:58 pm

Gus wrote:Hi Rob.

What is this arrangement for?

It's a spacer to bring the footrests up and out for better clearance.

Gus
Hardcore
Hardcore

#227 PostAuthor: Gus » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:26 pm

Ta

Gus
"Set the GRINDER on it"

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#228 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:50 pm

Another little job ticked off today.

Sourced the proper AMA spec plastic front numberplates for both bikes so the dummies i made for visual mock up can be trimmed down to form the combined number plate mount and dash support.

SUNP0434.JPG

Made use of the mill and my newly aquired rotary table to chop out a couple of simple number plate shaped lightening holes and trim the sides to shape.

SUNP0429.JPG

Then countersunk the four mounting holes top and bottom and fitted a couple of recessed stainless rivinuts to mount the number plate
SUNP0431.JPG

Not really much else i can do with that except maybe a couple more holes but i don't want to risk weakening it too much and once i've figured out the reg/rec and starter solenoid mounts on the underseat electrics tray it's getting powdercoated satin black next week along with that and the last handfull of parts that are holding up progress.
SUNP0432.JPG

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#229 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:46 pm

Just got the last few pieces back from the powdercoaters.
The four odd bits on the left are the ''Y' shaped mudguard stays, rear mudguard and clutch cable guide from the Zeph1R cafe which were originally painted and looking a bit ropey and stone chipped after 10 years so thought i'd have them done too to make the numbers up and the trip worthwhile

SUNP0444.JPG

Had a spare 5 mins before i had to be elsewhere so refitted the speedo/numberplate bracket which i wasn't really 100% sure about but the colour change has made all the difference .
SUNP0447.JPG

SUNP0449.JPG

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#230 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:25 pm

Few more bits of the puzzle done.
Freshly powdered starter cover and extended sprocket cover fitted.

SUNP0469.JPG

SUNP0470.JPG

And the underseat tray in situ with components for the minimal electrics.
SUNP0480.JPG

30amp toggle switch on right for main power, solenoid for the starter with integral 30amp fused feed for main power and reg/rec for the alt.
SUNP0484.JPG

Already made a small start on the wiring and run the main battery negative lead to the engine, the charging system is a self contained circuit with just two wires straight to the battery so apart from the power lead to the starter motor there will be just 4 wires to run up to the front to serve the Dyna ignition, start button, brake light and horn along with the oil and neutral lights. .
SUNP0482.JPG

Random shot of the left side because the right always gets the most attention.
SUNP0472.JPG
Last edited by zed1015 on Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#231 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:04 pm

Been scouring ebay for ages for a decent set of calipers to fit the ZX7 forks when i spotted a nice set of Tokico six pots listed as GSXR for £150 or best offer at a BMW breakers which were already fitted with stainless bolts and banjo's .
The were the only non BMW parts in their listings so chanced my arm with a cheeky bid of £100 which suprisingly was accepted.
They turned up today and apart from needing new pads and a light clean they are near mint and almost ready to bolt on.. Result !

SUNP0485.JPG

I also needed a nice rear caliper to match which i found from a different seller at near enough the same time.
This is a GSXR/ZRX etc Tokico item which fits the ZXR/ZRX hanger i'm using.
They are pretty hard to find in decent nick and usually resemble a manky ball of furry aluminium oxide so when this tidy one popped up for £50 i jumped on it.

SUNP0489.JPG

The only blot on the landscape was the rusty heads of the steel bolts that clamp the halves together which were 'simply' going to be swapped out for some stainless items but things are never that easy and it's took two days of heating , soaking and drilling the heads off to get the seized bolts out.
Once apart it revealed that all the furr had been hiding on the inside so after a good clean up and ultrasonic i've ordered some new seals and stainless pistons to get it functioning as good as it looked.
SUNP0488.JPG

chrisNI
Site Admin

#232 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:45 am

Great standard of work as always Rob :D

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#233 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:50 pm

New rear caliper pistons arrived along with seals etc
SUNP0492.JPG

So forged ahead and got it rebuilt and fitted along with the torque arm then finished off by replacing the original bolts with some stainless cap heads that have had a clean up in the lathe to remove the lettering etc to match the rest of the fittings on the bike.

SUNP0494.JPG

And while i was at it i decided it was only right to give the front calipers a fresh start as well so they were treated to new seals too.
SUNP0496.JPG

SUNP0501.JPG

Then all fitted with the same lathe treatment to the stainless fittings
SUNP0502.JPG

Just waiting for some hose fittings to arrive so i can make up the lines and i should have some working brakes sometime next week.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#234 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:54 pm

Another major step towards the finish line this week with the wiring completed...
Nearly as basic as possible with starter solenoid and 3O amp fused feed to 30 amp toggle switch for main power .
The charging system, reg/rec etc is a stand alone circuit.

SUNP0535.JPG

The white four pin connector block feeds switched live, earth, brake light and starter wires up to the r/h bar switch .
The other lead which runs up behind and loops back down under the top tube is actually from the electrex reg/reg which came with the waterproof connector plug already crimped on .
It's rediculously long so i've had to run it up the frame and back to the alt connector at the front of the seat.
I would have shortened it by the three foot or so that it doesn't need but the crimps are nothing like the ones i have .

SUNP0529.JPG

Coils fitted and just need to make the 8 ht leads and figure out the best routing.
SUNP0527.JPG

Bought some little LED's for the oil and neutral lights but couldn't settle on a suitable bracket design that didn't look horrid or like an afterthought so i decided to set them into the top yoke.
SUNP0520.JPG

Had to mill a couple of recesses on the underside with a flat surface for the nuts.
SUNP0516.JPG

They sit just far enough forward not to be obscured by the bars when riding.
SUNP0526.JPG

Wouldn't have normally fitted the neutral light but i need a positive indicator as i've removed the neutral finder balls out of the gearbox.
SUNP0536.JPG

Start button, brake light and kill switch for the Dyna on the right with horn button on the left.
Don't need anything else.

SUNP0539.JPG
Last edited by zed1015 on Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#235 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:15 pm

Dyna HT leads done today.
SUNP0549.JPG

Top pair of coils are cylinders 2 and 3.
SUNP0559.JPG

And bottom 1 and 4.
SUNP0558.JPG

Each coil serves a pair of cylinders as usual so that if a coil fails you don't drop on to three.
SUNP0563.JPG

Been using the green Sparkrite lead crimper for years which is a bit of a faff then these proper ratchet jobbies with a selection of crimps and boots popped up on Amazon last week for £30 odd quid a set so took a punt.
They make a really nice job and are a bit of a bargain when the Sparkrite thing is still fiver

SUNP0548.JPG

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#236 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:23 pm

Stopped raining for a couple of hours so had a chance to get it out and stand back for a proper look in the fresh air and daylight for the first time.
SUNP0564.JPG

SUNP0565.JPG

SUNP0568.JPG

Outrigger plate finished, painted and the clutch slave rebuilt ready for its hose and bleeding once the new stainless nipple turns up.
SUNP0566.JPG

And the ignition housing fitted just waiting for the Dyna once i've modified the advancer for the twin plug timing.
SUNP0569.JPG

Bar controls and new grips etc all done and on.
SUNP0577.JPG

Fluid reservoirs had no mounts so came up with these brackets which are going to the platers for some zinc on Monday with a few other bits and depending on how they look may get painted black and then i can bleed the brakes and clutch.
SUNP0576.JPG

SUNP0575.JPG

CAT3
100Club
100Club

#237 PostAuthor: CAT3 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:45 pm

Looking good there sir :up

Return to “Projects”